Martin Jumbo - Rosewood Kit

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
Selah

Re: Martin Jumbo - Rosewood Kit

Post by Selah »

All the PVC joints are not glued. So it is quick to take down. The plastic just goes in the garbage.

Just a couple of little touches I did ... below is a picture of the hinges and the inside of the door with a door latch and a hook for hanging my cloth I use to wipe down the guitar with naphtha before each coat.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Selah

Post by Selah »

I made a mistake and the bridge didn’t get on square. I glued it with Titebond III. Will that release with an iron? Will that damage my guitar finish?
ruby@magpage.com

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

Make a maske out of corrugated cardboard for R-vaul (insulation value) and cover it with aluminum and reflective tape foil for radiant heat protection. I use a heat lamp, but careful use of a heat gun would be OK. I don't think a hair dryer has enough horsepower. This one I made to remove a pice of fretboard, but cut yours for a tight fir around the bridge. I taped one edge to the guitar so I could flip it up and back down. The bulbs are at the hardware store for a few dollars

Ed
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ed M
Selah

Post by Selah »

Thanks. I’ll try it. About how long does it take before the release? 10 minutes?
30 minutes?
ruby@magpage.com

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

if I recall, the thin thin cake icing palette knife started to go in after about 5 minutes at the edges, then the whole thing was off in 10. It was hide glue.

Ed
Ed M
Talladam

Post by Talladam »

I've read examples of where people are having problems getting a bridge off, so they plane or rout the bridge down to a sliver and then use heat to remove the last bit. This would require a new bridge, but if nothing else is working...

Keep in mind I haven't done this myself.

It really sucks that you have to do this. I think I understand how hard it would be to go backwards at this stage of the build.
Selah

Post by Selah »

Yeah. It’s a real bummer. I waited the 5 weeks for the lacquer to cure and was excited that I was only a couple days from hearing it play. This is kinda depressing. However, I look at the wonderful world my Lord created and when I think of how much pain and suffering people really go through, this is nothing. So, put on my big boy pants and get over it! My dad had a saying: You learn by trial and error, and mostly error. So this was an error, I’ll learn, and life goes on!

I’ll let you know how it goes.
Selah

Post by Selah »

I did the setup below. It took about 45 minutes of heat with a 75 Watt incandescent light bulb. Some damage of the varnish, but I can fix it.
Talladam

Post by Talladam »

At least it looks like the spruce wasn't damaged too badly
Selah

Post by Selah »

Okay, being a lot more careful about bridge position this time. Used the Saddlematic and a couple of sticks cut to exactly the same length to make sure the bridge is square. Check out the photos.