Martin Jumbo - Rosewood Kit

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
Diane Kauffmds

Re: Martin Jumbo - Rosewood Kit

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

I posted a rather detailed tutorial on purfling and binding. Even if you decide on a different glue type for installing your purfling and binding, it contains a lot of useful information on channel prep that might help you out with fitting the binding. I'll just put the link here rather than repeating the post.

http://www.kitguitarsforum.com/board/vi ... nel#p51702
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
Selah

Post by Selah »

I have made some progress. The binding and purfling are done. I bought the herringbone purfling from John’s shop and it worked perfect and looks fantastic. It was the perfect addition to the body and I’m glad I bought it. The body is looking pretty good now. I used the cabinet scraper to smooth everything out and get the binding and purfling smooth with the top, sides, and back. Now it’s on to the neck.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

looks good
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
jread

Post by jread »

that's the 1st time I've seen b/w purfling run inside the herringbone. I like it!
Morecowbell

Post by Morecowbell »

I do too - looks good
"Facts seldom sway an opinion." - John Hall
"The difference between theory and practice is that in theory there is no difference." - Van de Snepscheut
Selah

Post by Selah »

jread wrote:that's the 1st time I've seen b/w purfling run inside the herringbone. I like it!
I thought adding the b/w purfling on the inside made the herringbone pattern stand out more. I have four older sisters who are all quite talented in some form of crafting. Since you all said I could do any combination with the purfling, I tried several different patterns and sent them photos of each pattern. The one that they preferred ended up being too wide of a purfling and my router bit couldn’t cut that wide. So I stepped it back to what you see. I really like how it turned out.
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Excellent looking!
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
Selah

Post by Selah »

So, I might have made a mistake. Was this blue plastic to remain around the truss rod? This truss rod is apparently new to Martin kits and neither the Martin or Bill Cory’s book say what to do. I removed it and then thought better about it because of a comment in the Martin instructions about “The paper that covers the open part of the channel is there to prevent glue from seeping into the rod area.” It seems as if you would take it off otherwise there would be no adhesion between the neck and the rod.

There is also an insert into my kit with directions to install a 2-Way adjustable rod. It is just a piece of paper they threw into the kit. As a result, I assume I have a 2-way adjustable rod. In those instructions, it says to fill the channel with Titebond. It too mentions nothing about the blue plastic.

Thoughts? And as always thanks for your comments and help. I would be losing all my hair if it wasn’t for you all to bounds my thoughts off of.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
carld05

Post by carld05 »

The cover was suppose to have been there for protection from glue. You can put a wrap of plastic electrical tape over the rod instead of the plastic cover.
Hold it in a vise (lightly) and crank it with the wrench both ways to see how it works.
Filling the channel with titebond seems wrong to me. I've used a couple of dabs of silicone sealer in the channel to keep the rod from rattling. Other than that the rod shouldn't be glued to the neck. Don't get the silicone on anything else, it'll cause you grief when finishing!!
Keep asking your questions! Hopefully you won't get too many differing answers.

Carl
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

The blue plastic is supposed to stay on.

I've used Titebond I (original) in a thin line along the bottom of my truss rod channels on almost every build. I've never had it interfere with any truss rod function. I've also used a thin line of silicone; either will work.
But, don't fill the channel.
PicsArt_08-08-11.51.17.jpg
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars