Three 0's

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
jread

Re: Three 0's

Post by jread »

1st scratch built box closed. Wash coat only. All mahogany w/ Englemann bracing. The x braces are slightly shorter (.45") than my target (.5") so let's hope it doesn't fall apart.

I'd like to find a different saw for the kerf cuts. Fret saw has a depth stop but the cuts are a bit thin.

Undecided on tinting or staining under a shellac french polish.

Neck's are coming along slow but sure.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ruby@magpage.com

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

Martin's top bracing of the 00 in the mid 30's was .45 and less, so you should be OK

Ed
Ed M
jread

Post by jread »

ruby@magpage.com wrote:Martin's top bracing of the 00 in the mid 30's was .45 and less, so you should be OK

Ed
Thanks! I appreciate that. Box seems sturdy enough and has a nice tone when tapped around the lower bout and bridge plate. I got this wood on sale and am glad I did another practice run before doing the more expensive sets cuz I love this guitar!
jread

Post by jread »

rough dovetails came out. Next challenges are fretboards and bending a cutaway on the next one up.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jread

Post by jread »

As a new builder, I get overloaded w/ information sometimes. I've see guitars w/ this strip of wood in the tail block (cross grain from the block) and think I remember a post about it here but can't find it. So I've made one and thought I'd post inquiring on just why I am doing this. :D

This is a mahogany strip from a back so is about 1/8" deep. I've read this can help the block from cracking. As this one will have a pickup jack here, I thought I'd try it. Any opinions or more information on adding a strip into the tail block?
jread

Post by jread »

after more searching, I found the answer. It is for crack mitigation on drop and should be plywood.

source: blues creek quick tip.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PWWJLOGk6A
jread

Post by jread »

i miscalculated this distance and was off by .1" which doubles as it's 1/2 the width of the fretboard. Instead of selling me an expensive blanket, John recommended the clothes iron to remove this block and the fish glue released easily. I cleaned it up and it was long so trimmed the side and reglued. Back in business.

my fretboard will be 2 1/8" at fret 12 so this 14th fret distance is 2.175" /2 = 1.0875. Got it on 2nd try.

The form and insert are working ok.
jread

Post by jread »

2nd home-made box, 1st cut-away. There are a couple of issues along the edge that I hope the herringbone and side binding will cover but we'll see. Looks like any issues if visible will be minor so I'm pretty happy.
jread

Post by jread »

Particularly happy w/ this one.

I re-sawed a 5/4 board on my tablesaw to make these back and sides. I broke 3 sets of sides bending this cut-away so glad I was making them from cheap but very nice looking (to me) lumber. This grain has just the look I was going for.

This mahogany was much more difficult to bend than the less figured set i posted earlier in this thread. This one sure taught me how to plane and chisel with the grain.

John's new bending video helped quite a bit. I agree w/ his recommendation that the mahog likes about 275f/135c on the bending iron and just hit w/ a sprayer before bending or else trouble comes in many ways.
Last edited by jread on Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

You're doing a great job! They're looking really nice.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com