Three 0's

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
jread

Re: Three 0's

Post by jread »

two more
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jread

Post by jread »

The fretboard markers are done. Had no troubles getting them in with my dremel and 1/32" downcut bits and following yet more of Diane's sage advice in a recent post.

I like the turquoise recon stone from LMI. I have the side dots to match on that one and will use a blank of it to make the heel cap. I want to find and other place to accent with this. Perhaps inlays on the pick guard or maybe on the wings of the bridge. I'm not up for body inlays yet. ha.

Also made my 1st bridge. I keep making hard edge lines into the wings as mentioned by Dan Erlewine in this vid
then decide I like it with smooth curve better. https://youtu.be/SRAMOEEIqSc
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jread

Post by jread »

Google just reminded me that i was working on closing the box on my 1st kit one year ago today. So, I look over to projects and since November, I've got this far on my hand made builds. Suddenly, I'm not feeling like I get nothing done around here.

There's actually 7 guitars underway with these 5 all going to players. 3 very well known and a young one who will be i'm sure. WHAT HAVE I DONE?? All that and the one I'm MOST nervous about is the one for the Mrs.

There is only one thing I can say. I could not have done any of this without this forum and our fearless leader Diane who i can't begin to properly thank for all the advice, coaching, and friendship.
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

You've caught the bug for sure.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
jread

Post by jread »

Suddenly I’ve got cool looking guitars to work on in my shop instead of a bunch of parts and pieces.

This one is eye catching with the torrefied Englmann spruce top and cutaway. This body was done in my new 0-14 (long scale) mold from Blues Creek Guitars and that mold had many improvements over my hand made external mold. The cutaway insert especially as this one is perfect and I can reach every fret position without changing left hand angle. Hand planed the rosewood and bend it over an iron. It's not perfectly round but not bad for serial number 7. I have 7 active builds ( my 1st 7, lol ) on the shelf with only one complete and hanging to dry. I'm not right. This was supposed to be 3 0's.

The owner of this guitar is a touring pro and I watch in awe as he stays in those bass stings in the higher frets all day. I don't like cutaways but he really needs em. Can't wait to see him play this. Getting there!

ps. neck not glued on yet for those wondering. Dovetail is fitted very nicely and is rock solid w/o glue. I still hold both halves when I pick it up tho! I pick it up from the sound hole and hold the extension with my thumb so it doesn't come out of the dovetail. If that slips out and they do it is really easy to put a big dent in the top. I dare not shake it around to test that joint. I did that once with another guitar and was SURE glad I put those fatigue mats down. Saved it from hitting the concrete. My only drop so far. Lots of dents from clumsy hands but no bad falls. Boy do I focus on that!

Also pictured is this neck in progress from earlier. I really need to make those fine neck carving stations in a recent post. This crappy vice gets way too much use.
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Very nice looking.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
jread

Post by jread »

Here is my 1st fully completed hand made guitar. I can't express my appreciation appropriately for all the assistance, coaching, and advice that I've received on this forum and would have abandoned this project if not for this web site and all the amazingly helpful and friendly master luthiers I've met and now consider friends.

Some details if you missed them above:

Generally a copy of a Martin 0-15 closely matching the GAL plans but w/ extra binding and scalloped braces and long scale instead of short.

All mahogany. EIR fretboard, overlay, and bridge, back strip, and end graft. Bone nut/saddle/pin, grover open back tuners. Englemann spruce bracing. Shellac french polish. Laminated mahagany neck. 1 11/16th nut, 2 1/8 at fret 12.

This is being gifted to a very well known singer/songwriter. I'll save the name for now. Sure hope to see it on stage but that is up to her. I'll be thrilled if she keeps it on the couch. I'll likely capture a sound clip and post it here before I ship. It's still drying.
ruby@magpage.com

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

Great effort. Now that you have completed each of the steps, lot of mystery is out of it. Every one gets better from now on (with a few minor setbacks)
Just remember, it's not a mistake if nobody sees it
Ed
Ed M
BEJ

Post by BEJ »

Good looking work, looks like the chickens are checking things out and giving their approval. Beginning to look like you have a mini guitar factory starting up.
jread

Post by jread »

BEJ wrote:Good looking work, looks like the chickens are checking things out and giving their approval. Beginning to look like you have a mini guitar factory starting up.
Actually, Healthcliff the rooster is wondering if he should come over and give me guff for daring to look in his direction. He didn't. He knows he matches the guitar.

Yes. The factory is paying off! I am nearing final french polish on 4 builds at once plus the mahog one delivered to her new owner. All the necks are nearly done as well. Started, idk, let's say November. I'm not racing but just looking back and thinking it wasn't a bad move because I'd be disappointed to be starting from the beginning now. I plan to take victory laps for a while IF/WHEN these are done and then start another batch late this year after parts collection. It seems like a lot of guitars but I did some math and at my current spend rate per guitar, I could profit if I could find buyers (big if) but certainly not enough to quit my job over. Stuck doing this as a hobby for a while I work for "the man." Lucky me because I have a tendency to give them away to family and friends and it's a lot of money even if well worth it. I'm paying to learn right now.