Three 0's

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
jread

Re: Three 0's

Post by jread »

Good shot to share of the necks. laminated mahogany, stacked heels. I did not laminate the headstock side of the scarf. I guess I like the arrows but am not sure I love each one. In all, they are great. I started w/ stewmac 000 templates but just to get measurements. I could not seem to carve to their profiles and each piece came into shape by feel. I feel I could go back to chisels and files now that I see the finished results and shave here or there and did on one where I reshaped the nut area/

I've followed the recent finishing posts. A few good wash coats of shellac, pore filled with aquacoat, a bit more shellac, then minwax wipe on poly clear satin. Will buff lightly with 0000 in a day or two and should be good to go. Their 4 bodies are all shellac fp in progress.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jread

Post by jread »

These 4 just got hung to dry after a long week of french polish sessions. This shot is last week before final fp. The necks aren't glued on yet. It's going to be a few weeks before I string them up. Then they need to settle in and harden. But later this summer, 4 are gonna go at once.

Overall, I'm glad I did many at once and will likely not start a new one for a while but then collect parts and do a few at a time. Many of the steps went more efficiently with several guitars lined up by sharing shop resets, tool setups, supplies, etc. Plus practice makes perfect and the main reason I have 6 active builds instead of 3 is that guitars sneak in. There's a few on the shelf but this lot is aching to go.

Next 4 posts will be final shots I hope.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jread

Post by jread »

I started out on the Bill Cory kit books. They are great introductions to this craft. He taught me to make and mark a number of brace cauls before closing the box. Sure was a useful tip as that original box of cauls gets used every build. Thanks Bill, you got me goin in right direction.
jread

Post by jread »

dovetails and glue up. I have to thank everyone here again who helped me learn how to make this joint. Blood, sweat, tears, a reset, and I finally have them in w/ hide glue.
jread

Post by jread »

I'm proud to let you all know that my 1st guitar ( the all mahagany) went to one of my favorite folk heroes, Samantha Crain. Here is my 1st public sighting. I'm so excited to hear her play this on stage. She is planning an online record release and i got a good feeling about the whole thing!

https://www.instagram.com/p/CCbUuBnAxYM ... _copy_link
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

wow, that's fantastic. Congratulations. You did an outstanding job.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
jread

Post by jread »

The three intended guitars for this thread are done. There were few others along the way.

Thanks for all the help and support from everyone out here. All of your work is an inspiration.

They are going to great players and will see if i can post a video soon.
jread

Post by jread »

Here's my happy customers for two of the three guitars captured on cell vid with an incredible guitar demo and public debut of my builds.

https://youtu.be/zeCcn52shKQ
Stray Feathers

Post by Stray Feathers »

What a rewarding way to send off two of your creations! Well done!
ruby@magpage.com

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

Well done - they sound great
Ed M