Blogging Fatso!

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
SKBarbour

Re: Blogging Fatso!

Post by SKBarbour »

The guitar looks great and patience is tough at this stage in the game . The one thing I've learned from reading this section is that I will not be visitng any dentists offices in NY.
kyle
David L

Post by David L »

I have a nut problem! I bought a new set of strings, strung up the "D" string that needed to be replaced, then I spent about an hour or so tuning the guitar using my little electronic tuning gadget and the website that John P posted and did what I would consider a fair job at tuning it up. I was feeling positive, had a little confidence going and then I noticed; OH NO, the low "E" string is touching the first fret and I didn't give it permission to do that! Well obviously an investigation was in order so I took 'ole Fatty out to the shop and with my set of feeler gauges I started checking each string at the first fret. Not only is the low "E" string touching the first fret but the "A" and "D" strings are touching also, the "G" string has a gap of only .003", the "B" string has a gap that measures .012", and the gap at the high "E" string is .028". Looking down the FB towards the nut I noticed that my nut is not level. How could this have happened? Shouldn't I have been able to make a perfect nut on my first try? Fortunately when I ordered this nut blank (micarta stuff or whatever) I also ordered a bone nut blank so I will be able to get started without any delays. My question is: What kind of gaps at the first fret are you guys shooting for? I know that's probably a loaded question since it is part of the "action" equation and I will probably get varying answers but at least I can get a ball park starting point. Now, before I get started on my new nut (is it even ok to say it like that?) I have a mess of fish to clean, went early this morning and tore thier @$$E$ up! Anybody need some fish glue?

David L
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jim_H

Post by Jim_H »

I don't measure it with a gauge at all. I just try to make sure I can see a little light under the string at the first fret ( I wear a magnifying visor )... very little. I tap the string against the first fret and listen for a little tink sound.

The danger of getting really really close is that open strings may buzz when plucked hard.
My poorly maintained "Blog"
Ken Hundley

Post by Ken Hundley »

I wonder if there was a high spot under the nut when you first set everything, and it has since compressed?
Ken Hundley
Nocturnal Guitars
http://www.nocturnalguitars.com

So, my big brother was playing guitar and I figured I'd try it too.
- Stevie Ray Vaughan
David L

Post by David L »

Now that you mention that Ken, when I first noticed the nut being unlevel I thought that one of the possibilities is that maybe a little chip of wood or something snuck in there when I glued the nut in place, that still might be the case as I have not yet removed the nut. I used a small amount of Duco to glue the nut, how would you recommend removing it, anybody?

David L
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

I never glued in a nut so I can not help you get it out. On my last two guitars I taped a thick scraper (1/32 inches) on the first few frets and butt it up to the nut. When filing the nut slots (at the angle of the pegboard) I stop just when I reach the scraper. That way I know I am about 1/32 inches above the frets.

John
Ben-Had

Post by Ben-Had »

David L wrote:I used a small amount of Duco to glue the nut, how would you recommend removing it, anybody?

David L
Depends how small you mean by small. It usually only takes a slight bit of glue in a couple spots on the nut face and bottom to keep it in place. If you did that it should come off easy, assuming Duco has the same holding power as Titebond (which is what I use). If there is finish on the nut use an exacto knife (or similar) to lightly score the finish first. If no finish, take a small block of wood (1/2" thick, 2" wide, a few inches long) and place it up to the nut, then give it a light tap with a hammer. It should pop right off. If Duco holds real strong or there is a lot on there some wood may come off with it. Depends how much glue is there.
Tim Benware
David L

Post by David L »

You'll never guess in a million years what happened! Add one cat and one guitar and what do you end up with? You guessed it, TROUBLE!!! Our cat (who by the way is still alive) knocked my guiter off of it's usual spot in the house when it's not out in the shop being worked on. Fortunately the damage appears to be minimal. It looks like it landed right on the corner of the head and there is a spot on the back that appears to be cracked finish, not sure if the wood under the cracks is damaged.

David L
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
David L

Post by David L »

Here's the back. There are some minor surface scratches that wouldn't show up in pictures. This is the only decent picture I could get of the back.

David L
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

David,
That is a bummer, but nothing you can't repair.
I won't tell you what I do to cats that come in my yard.

Kevin