Blogging Fatso!

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
David L

Re: Blogging Fatso!

Post by David L »

The box of Martin strings that came with my kit lists: E-1st silvered steel at .012" and E-6th bronze wound at .054". Which one is the high "E" and which one is the low "E"?
Ben-Had wrote:
David L wrote:Here's the saddle as it came in the kit. Notice that one end is .370" and the other end is .305, is this supposed to be like this and if it is, which end goes at the low "E" end and which end goes at the high "E" end. I am ready to install the saddle, what is the procedure? Do I install it as it is, file the string grooves and then make some kind of string height measurement and then start making adjustments? What would the desireable string height be? Where would the string height measurements be taken? What is the meaning of life?

David L
As you are looking at the picture the High e is on the left, Low E on the right. Here's how I do it. 1.) String it up, 2.) Tune to pitch, 3.) check/set the neck relief, 4.) check the strings for proper height over the 1st fret (I set mine starting the high e at .014 over Fret, then increase by .002 up to the Low E at .024), 5.) check height of strings over the 12th fret and adjust the saddle as necessary (for every 1/64 at the 12th you want to lower it, you have to take off 1/32 on the saddle and visa versa using shims to raise it, although I hate shims and never use them, I prefer to cut a new saddle). ALSO, DO NOT "file the string grooves," (unless you're talking o the nut) at least that's me. Os that somewhat what you were looking for?
If you do not file the string groove then what keeps them in place?
Jim_H

Post by Jim_H »

You file grooves in the nut, but not in the saddle. At the saddle end they are close enough to the pins that they won't move side to side. The depth of the slots in the nut need to be deep enough to keep the strings in place during bends, etc...

The .012 is the high E.. the smallest (highest pitch) string.

The .054 is the low E (lowest pitch).
My poorly maintained "Blog"
David L

Post by David L »

Well I strung it up and I'm so frustrated I'm about to wrap this son-of-a-bitch around a telephone pole!!! First I broke the "D" string and I can't even figure out how to use this piece of $h1+ tuning thing, the directions are practically useless and don't give enough information for it to make any sense to me.

David L
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

It is a chromatic tuner, so as you pluck the string and turn the tuner you should see the note lights moving up the alphabet and back around.

You can hear what each string should sound like plucking the virtual strings on this web site.
http://www.guitarforbeginners.com/onlinetuner.html

Tune each string while plucking until it sounds like the guitar on the web site. Watch the tuner while you are doing it. You should see the notes progress up the alphabet as you tighten the string. When it is close to what you hear on the web site and reading the correct note and the green light is on between the b and # and the green light next to the # is off the string should be in tune.

When the D string broke you probably were tuning up to the next higher D.
Ben-Had

Post by Ben-Had »

Jim_H wrote:You file grooves in the nut, but not in the saddle. At the saddle end they are close enough to the pins that they won't move side to side. The depth of the slots in the nut need to be deep enough to keep the strings in place during bends, etc...

The .012 is the high E.. the smallest (highest pitch) string.

The .054 is the low E (lowest pitch).
+1 :)
Tim Benware
Ben-Had

Post by Ben-Had »

johnnparchem wrote:It is a chromatic tuner, so as you pluck the string and turn the tuner you should see the note lights moving up the alphabet and back around.

You can hear what each string should sound like plucking the virtual strings on this web site.
http://www.guitarforbeginners.com/onlinetuner.html

Tune each string while plucking until it sounds like the guitar on the web site. Watch the tuner while you are doing it. You should see the notes progress up the alphabet as you tighten the string. When it is close to what you hear on the web site and reading the correct note and the green light is on between the b and # and the green light next to the # is off the string should be in tune.

When the D string broke you probably were tuning up to the next higher D.
David just remember a chromatic tuner only recognizes the note not the octave so to it a "D" is a "D."
Tim Benware
Jim_H

Post by Jim_H »

Hang in there David. I've done exactly what you did.

You'll get the hang of it soon where you can get them pretty close without needing a tuner.

I usually have a tuned guitar in the area and will pluck a string for some reassurance that I'm in the ballpark.

BTW, if you have a smartphone, there are some really good tuner apps available. I have an android phone and use a tuner called gStrings. It used to be free but it might cost a buck or two now, but dang it's really good. I use it for about 90% of my acoustic tuning needs. And because it's my phone, it's usually handy...

The nice thing about it it's an analog style display ( a needle just like on the old fashioned tuners). You can set it to tune a specific note, or tune chromatically.

Might be worth looking in to.
David L

Post by David L »

Thanks Jim but I do not own a smart phone, don't want a phone that's smarter than me. I tried John Parchem's link and did manage to have "some" success. Now I need to get some feeler gauges and get the string height set. Oh yeah, I also need to buy a new set of strings so I can replace that broken "D" string (patience, patience, patience).

David L
Jim_H

Post by Jim_H »

For anyone interested who happens to have an android phone or tablet, here is the market link to the gString tuner I was talking about.

https://market.android.com/details?id=o ... ings&hl=en

Looks like there is a free version and a paid version they are charging $2 for. I have the paid version. Not sure what the differences are.

Unfortunately for the Apple Sheeples, it doesn't look like there is an iPhone version. :p
David L

Post by David L »

Thanks guys for being patient with me through this frustrating portion, I somehow thought that I was going to have problems at this stage. (so close, yet so far away)

David L