redwood 00

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
jread

Re: redwood 00

Post by jread »

Thanks for posting the neck carving jig. I got one done but am not settled on how to hold it yet.
ruby@magpage.com

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

j

when you say got one done, do you mean neck or jig? I copied this one from several I saw that were made out of 2 X material. Mine is clearly overbuilt, but I couldn't resist it having found the piece of glue-lam for free
Ed M
ruby@magpage.com

1) Here's the Martin heel that I was going for

2) Now for the head shape. This late 18th/early 19th century head was used as an inspiration, I am sure, by Bigsby in the late 40's. Here is Lefty Frizzell's SJ-200 with a Bigsby neck on it - at the time it was just for flash. Notice the 6 in a row tuners, and the shape of the head

3) Then in the early 50's, Fender came up with the Stratocaster head that they still use. Looks like it was copied from Bigsby
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ed M
ruby@magpage.com

1) So now to work on mine. Drill the tuner holes with a brad point bit and a backing piece to avoid blowout

2) I have designed a head veneer and found a use for a tool out of my collection. It is a washer cutter that telescopes - 15 of them in 1/16" steps. I sharpen one up and a tap with a mallet gives me a perfect hole

3) This is what it will look like - the neck will be black and the veneer will be ivoroid.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by ruby@magpage.com on Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ed M
ruby@magpage.com

1) Here is the front of the head . . .

2) and the back - once I decide on the veneer I can finish the neck/head transition

3) This is what most of them look like, squarish shape across the bottom and covering most of the back of the head to cover the mortices where the tuners live
Last edited by ruby@magpage.com on Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ed M
ruby@magpage.com

1) Some had the mortices for the elaborate tuners on the front, so the plate is on the front. This is where I put mine even though I am using banjo tuners and don't have any mortices to hide

2) Most cover the entire head, but here is one I really like that does not - it is on the back

3) So I need your help. Here is the front of my head again. What do you all think about the shape/size/details of what I have come up with ?? Too much coverage? Not enough curviness? Let me know
Ed M
tubegeek

Post by tubegeek »

I like it! The thing that sets it apart from the inspiration example is that the example has sides that are more or less parallel while yours has a taper from top to bottom getting wider. I can see why : your stock gets wider towards the nut. So an overlay that takes that into account will have to widen out too. Cool design!

Definitely nothing like that in the book as far as I saw.
jread

Post by jread »

ruby@magpage.com wrote:j

when you say got one done, do you mean neck or jig? I copied this one from several I saw that were made out of 2 X material. Mine is clearly overbuilt, but I couldn't resist it having found the piece of glue-lam for free
I mean I was able to carve one neck to "done" without a holding jig by getting creative around my bench but I need a better plan so will come back when I make it. I currently am getting a ton of use out of a spare laminate neck blank that i made which is flat on 4 sides. I have sandpaper on one side and use the wide flat side for a variety of tasks including a platform when carving but I can do a lot better so thanks again! I really don't want to start thinking that I need one of those fancy vices that wheel around in circles. Your jig looks more my speed.

ps. your project is amazing and so fun to follow. I showed my 19 year old son who plays and he asked me to make him a 7 string version of it. /sigh
ruby@magpage.com

j

It would be easy to make a version of my jig with a length of 2X10 from a dumpster. Plane one edge flat to hold your neck (with or without a fretboard installed), then glue on a piece at whatever neck angle you like (I use 15°). Finish up with a couple of holes that allow you to clamp the neck easily and your are off to the races.
Ed M
ruby@magpage.com

After some fooling around, I think I have settled on this shape. I found some cream colored card stock that is not far from the color of the ivoroid
Ed M