redwood 00

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
tubegeek

Re: redwood 00

Post by tubegeek »

Ed - I'm sorry to be offering this so late in the process , I just thought of it - if you want me to scan any of the pics in "Inventing The American Guitar" I have a copy. A few of the Stauffer-shaped Martins and also some Stauffers. Huge photos.

Too late to help you shape anything but you can see their decorative elements at least.
ruby@magpage.com

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

Tube

Thanks for the offer - are there any pictures of the head using banjo tuners instead of the ones with the buttons on the side? Front and back? Any pictures of the head showing the metal plate on top instead of on the back?

I am using the banjo tuners and will put the cover on top - although my "cover" is just a layer of ivoroid to contrast with the black colored neck.

I have examples of both pictures, but would enjoy seeing others before I actually cut the shape.

I am using the Martin 00 12 fret body like they did in both of the re-issues

Thanks

Ed
Ed M
tubegeek

Post by tubegeek »

ruby@magpage.com wrote:Tube

Thanks for the offer - are there any pictures of the head using banjo tuners instead of the ones with the buttons on the side? Front and back? Any pictures of the head showing the metal plate on top instead of on the back?

I am using the banjo tuners and will put the cover on top - although my "cover" is just a layer of ivoroid to contrast with the black colored neck.

I have examples of both pictures, but would enjoy seeing others before I actually cut the shape.

I am using the Martin 00 12 fret body like they did in both of the re-issues

Thanks

Ed
I will check today. BTW Mamie may well also have a copy - I'm pretty sure she was working at RetroFret when they had a party to introduce the book, and the shop was involved with the author somehow, maybe they loaned some of the guitars, I forget now. I don't know if you're likely to cross paths with her what with the COVID19 situation though.
ruby@magpage.com

Not sure if she does -I believe she was there at the time.

We keep in touch on Facetime, and just last Friday - 3 days ago - she did a live concert for Jalopy Theatre, one of her favorite Brooklyn venues. Here it is:

https://www.facebook.com/118829716799/v ... 053345743/

Enjoy

Ed
Ed M
tubegeek

Post by tubegeek »

20200401_112412.jpg
Ed: all the guitars in the book with the Stauffer headstock shape use Stauffer-style tuners that are adjusted on the side just as we use today. All the metal plates are on the back.

I did not see a single guitar that used what I think of as banjo tuners at all (geared tuners that tune from the back.) Lots of guitars with friction pegs coming through the headstock, all but one with rectangular or slightly paddle-shaped heads.

The only guitar that had a curvy headstock and friction pegs was a unique 10 string, like a harp guitar with 4 strings supported in mid-air and 6 strings against a fretboard. That one has a kind of a lyre shaped stock, curving out in both directions.

So nothing that would apply to your project really. It was fun to flip through that book again though - some spectacular decoration workmanship from various makers. Check out the engraved backplate on the "cover girl."
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ruby@magpage.com

Looks like we are back to normal after a couple of days of not being able to answer

tube - that backplate is wonderful. They are all quit unique and elaborate.

I found a couple that had the banjo tuners - one is below - and one just one that had the cover plate on the front, also below.

I am going to put a plate made of a sheet of ivoroid on the front in the shape of the last one and call it my interpretation
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ed M
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

It's going to look wonderful Ed.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
ruby@magpage.com

1) Plow a groove down the neck for the Blanchard 2-way truss rod

2) I use one neck bolt down low. First step in installing the threaded insert that acts as the nut for the attachment bolt is to drill a hole - nice and plumb with the face of the tenon

3) I cut off a 1/4" bolt to use as an installing tool for the insert. The length of the bolt is used as a vertical reference to make sure the insert gets turned in properly
Last edited by ruby@magpage.com on Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ed M
ruby@magpage.com

1) Just below the surface. Then I run in a little thin CA to strengthen the wood's threads

2) Tape on my properly thicknessed bridge blank at it's location and use a long bevel gauge over the fretboard to get the neck angle

3) 1-1/4° - draw it on the neck at both the 12th fret and the end of the tenon
Ed M
ruby@magpage.com

1) Cut off the excess length

2) With a crosscut saw, cut the neck at the body joint on both sides

3) With a rip saw, cut the sides of the tenon
Ed M