Thoughts on fitting the dovetail - kit

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
MaineGeezer

Re: Thoughts on fitting the dovetail - kit

Post by MaineGeezer »

Here's a photo of the wedge on my first guitar.
http://www.kitguitarsforum.com/board/do ... &mode=view
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
jread

Post by jread »

Ooh. Very nice. That's encouraging. Beautiful trim, you really dove in.
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

Here's another example. This guitar was made by Carter Ruff of http://www.submusicworks.com
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
jread

Post by jread »

..and here she is glued up. Heel gap maybe a little bigger than I expected after dry fit. I decided to do some more adjustments since my last photos. No wedge. Tightbond original in joint and extension. This isn't perfect but it feels solid and has my target elevation and is centered.

This forum has so many posts on this topic so I thank you kindly for contributing to mine and for all the great advice.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

Looks good! As long as the string height ends up where you want it, you're in good shape.
jread

Post by jread »

Just adding a note to this old thread. I've moved up from struggling w/ that kit dovetail for a month to completing this new one ( from scratch ) in just a few hours work. I'll credit John's new video for sealing in some of the missed understandings I had about how to move the joint angles around. Thanks also for Diane's detailed pictures and offline help. I feel I've taken a college level course here. Donating to the forum as a thank you.

Here's the new vid from Blues Creek.
https://youtu.be/qhi4DiLdP3E