OO-45 Project

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
BlindBo

OO-45 Project

Post by BlindBo »

My current project is a OO-45 with Brazilian Rosewood and a red spruce top. I bought the fret board from my late friend, Jim Hall. John Hall inlayed the BRW book matched headstock veneer for me. My eyes just won’t let me do that fine inlay. I started the body inlay this afternoon and got the neck heel sides done. This is where the the $h!t starts getting real. I’m having a blast but you might not be able to drive a 10 penny nail you know where right now!
The picture below is just a dry fit to see where things are laying up.
IMG_1278.jpeg

As always, I have to thank both John and Diane for their unselfish support. Hope to meet some of y’all at Martinfest next week.
BlindBo
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BlindBo

Re: OO-45 Project

Post by BlindBo »

Started the body purfling and binding this afternoon. Managing 7 strips in one setting is enough to make you a real Luthier, French for “Man who learns to curse.”! 😂 Lots of F-bombs in the shop this afternoon! Not completely sure I’m ready for a 45 style trim. 😵‍💫
Tomorrow it time to recheck the neck set and move on to the fret board extension and the top pearl. All of you who do 45 style trims have my utmost res[ect!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TEETERFAN

Post by TEETERFAN »

Looks like you got a great start. I did the 45 style on my Ziricote dreadnought and herding up all the binding, purfling, and teflon strips is a real job. John Hall’s information was priceless and the real key to my success with it. Good luck!
Kevin Doty
Kansas City
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

I know the fun of mating all that binding and purfling , kind of like a mating ritual of a school of octopi
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
BlindBo

Post by BlindBo »

That sounds about right, John!😂

Kevin, I found your post on your OO-45 project. You are really ambitious to do that for your first built! I’m really impressed (and jealous). You have some serious skills!
TEETERFAN

Post by TEETERFAN »

Thanks! I pretty much read every building blog here and several books. While this is my first complete build, I have experience in most of the operations over the years. Lots of refinishing, pearl inlay, soundboard replacement, ect. Routing the binding channels was real scary, though!
But, let me tell ya, this forum is like going to Harvard or something. With a dozen professors for every class. It is absolutely priceless, and so thankful for everyone’s help.
Kevin Doty
Kansas City
BlindBo

Post by BlindBo »

I started adding pearl to the back and back/side inlays yesterday. Sanded the back to level the pearl. Everything went pretty well with a few rookie mistakes. (Please be gentile on this 45 trim virgin! )😂

This afternoon I started leveling the back/side pearl. I’ll finish it tomorrow, but, did get the tail wedge essentially leveled. I have more work to do on the sides tomorrow.
IMG_1346.jpeg

This is a lot of fun but also stressful. While I carefully sized the channels, the back binding protruded out a little too far from the sides. This resulted in a few areas where the binding profile on the back got a little thin once I had it level with the sides. Will probably revisit the top/side channel dimensions to hopefully have uniform binding thickness on the top. This is too important to leave it to chance. As my old flight instructor use say, “Good pilots plan for the worst and hope for the best. Others lust hope for the best!’ 😂 Tomorrow will be another challenge.
TEETERFAN

Post by TEETERFAN »

Yea, I thinned my binding too much and ended up replacing it. Lots of interacting dimensions to deal with. Gonna be spark-lily!
Kevin Doty
Kansas City
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

here is the only thing I will add.
A you have to do the first one , and yes there will be learning moments that will help make you become a better builder.

A honest critique and this is not intended to hurt anyone's feeling and trust me , I made the same mistake,
On the tail wedge the side purfling off the binding is b/w/b pearl b/w and the last black omitted as you rely on the dark sides. However in the tail wedge you need to go from the sides to the wedge w/b pearl b/w/b and this framed the wedge with the black. It is a bit tricky but it adds a nice touch. There are also pointing the pearl into the rim pearl but in all honesty this is a good first effort and one you can be proud of.
If you don't do anything you never make mistakes and if you make mistakes you learn not to do that again and you do become a better builder , so don't look at this as a flaw look at it as an education and you now know how to make it better.
Anyone would be proud to own an instrument of this qualtiy.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
BlindBo

Post by BlindBo »

I’m doing the prep work today for installing the top purfling tomorrow and really want it to fit tightly and have a uniform binding thickness when viewed from the front. I went around all my channels with a micrometer and was surprised to find some areas that were not correct. This was particularly true around the tight curves and the waist even though I had level sanded the sides before routing.

The good news is I discovered this before I started doing the Duco polka with the 7 armed octopus!😂 The afternoon was spent hand adjusting all the problem areas. A while back, Diane K mentioned a curved file she uses for this purpose. I ordered one and it is an awesome addition to my tool box. It did the job easil, even in the waist area.
IMG_1349.jpeg
If you are looking for a useful tool, in my opinion, this is it!