No. 4 - my attempt at a mahogany/sitka folk size

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
nkwak

No. 4 - my attempt at a mahogany/sitka folk size

Post by nkwak »

I know that No. 3 just had a setback but I'm kicking this one off in order to take my mind off the feeling of defeat. I bought most of the materials after I closed the box on No. 3 and made a mold and forms. For inspiration I went way back: I still have the husk of the Kay folk size guitar that I took lessons on way back in the 70s. So I traced it and made a mold and bending form:

Here are the materials I have so far. Surprisingly this is just over $200:

~ Neil
nkwak

Re: No. 4 - my attempt at a mahogany/sitka folk size

Post by nkwak »

Then when I damaged No. 3 I decided to not beat myself up but instead try to shift my attention toward something else. So I wheeled my Harbor Freight workbench into my garage and set up my shooting board and homemade drum sander. I made partial progess: I'm still chasing away the daylight on the joint and only have the sides down to 1.4" thick.

~ Neil
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Good for you. We've all had our problem builds. I'm glad you haven't given up. I had to totally restart my #2 after several setbacks. If you build long enough, it'll happen.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
nkwak

Post by nkwak »

Thanks, Diane. From now on I'm avoiding climbing cuts! My sides are now thin enough to bend but I want to joint the back plate and soundboard first and run them through the drum sander before I put it away.
~ Neil