17" Archtop Jazz Guitar finally starting it 5 years late!

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
Kevin Sjostrand

17" Archtop Jazz Guitar finally starting it 5 years late!

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

So I purchased all the materials for this build 5 1/2 years ago thinking I was going to get right into it. Ha!

Since then I've built 3 OM guitars and completed 2 Violins with a third just waiting for the finish.

So now I finally get to make MY Archtop guitar.
I'm building off the Benedetto plans using his video series class and book. Should be fun.
I've read the book a couple of times and viewed some of the videos over the years. This will be a new challenge, but the arch carving is not much different from the violin carving so I have a better understanding how that will be done.
This will also be my FIRST dovetail neck joint. I've always done bolt on M & T necks except for two classicals done traditionally. I have the jig and templates for the dovetail so I'm not too concerned about it but I will practice on scrap first!!!!

Today I traced the body outline off the plans and made an MDF template to make the mold. The template is made so next step is to make that mold.

I'm pretty sure this will be the only Archtop so I won't bother with making a bending form for the Fox style bender and just bend the sides by hand on my old handmade electric hot pipe.

I should be pulling out the wood for this guitar tomorrow and I'll take some pics for you all.
I have a Benedetto pickup for this with volume and tone controls so it will be ELECTRIFIED!

Wish me luck. I'll try and be good about posting with pics as o go along this journey.......Don't Sop Belive-in!!! 😀
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.