An old friend revisited

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
Diane Kauffmds

An old friend revisited

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

My stepdaughter passed away in March 2013, after a long illness. She had very few possessions, traveling the world. She was born and raised in Germany, and spent her life traveling to places like India, where she would live in small villages with the people. She was a German-American who played the sitar in the Indian Embassy for foreign dignitaries, which i always found really funny.

In 1978, she bought (or traded for) a used classical guitar. This guitar would be her constant companion for the rest of her life. She willed it to me. It needed a new top and new fretboard.

I replaced the fretboard with an ebony board. I curved the bottom, and created an area of relief, with an overlay design. At the time, I didn't know how to inlay shell veneer. So I made a not so great overlay design.

I've decided to take the overlay off, and design a forget-me-not design, for inlay. This might be a good first project to use in my Vectra VCarve desktop inlay function.

So, I'm going to get the design drawn, perfected, onto the computer, and into VCarve.

Here are photos.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
Kevin Sjostrand

Re: An old friend revisited

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Diane, I remember you speaking about your step daughter and her life some time past. I'm sorry to hear of her passing. With my daughter and family living in India the last 22 years I found it very interesting.

What a special guitar. I am amazed at the work you do. I need to get inspired by the things you accomplish and show us.

I am just now trying to learn more about my little 3018 GRBL Cnc machine and how I can do more and better.

Last night started trying Easel.

Thanks for sharing about this guitar. So special.
I hope your husband is doing better.
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Kevin Sjostrand wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 8:44 am Diane, I remember you speaking about your step daughter and her life some time past. I'm sorry to hear of her passing. With my daughter and family living in India the last 22 years I found it very interesting.

What a special guitar. I am amazed at the work you do. I need to get inspired by the things you accomplish and show us.

I am just now trying to learn more about my little 3018 GRBL Cnc machine and how I can do more and better.

Last night started trying Easel.

Thanks for sharing about this guitar. So special.
I hope your husband is doing better.
Thanks Kevin. She spent years at a time in India, and loved it. I have a photo of her playing the Sitar, in a drawer somewhere. When I find it, I'll take scan it in and post it.

I learned about classical guitars from this guitar. It was the first one I ever repaired.

I tried a variety of cnc programs. Vectric worked right when I downloaded Vectric. I initially bought Vectric cut2D desktop, which did all of the work you've seen, thus far. I upgraded to VCarve Desktop recently and I'm learning it's programs. I also own another cnc program, but VCarve is by far, the most intuitive, easy to use, program. It readily interfaces with 3018 machines. The first cnc I bought was a 3018. From that, I pirated a few parts, added some of my own, and designed my new cnc. I'd be happy to share what I did and the specs with you. There are a few things you can do to improve the performance of the 3018.

I'm still using grbl. It's a simple, elegant program.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Sure Diane please share 😀