Next project(s)

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
Danl8

Re: Next project(s)

Post by Danl8 »

nkwak wrote:Wow! That's inspiring! You say you've kept them all? Have you given any away or been asked to build one by someone you know?
:-) Probably not so inspired, but more like those crazy hoarders on TV. I made a 00 deep body (pictured somewhere here on KGF) for my son, who is an avid player. The rest can be sold or donated by my wife after I depart this life. With Martin quality as a comparison, my building fit and finish isn't worth selling or at least I couldn't recoup expenses and would eventually not be able to sustain the hobby. For now, I'm focusing on the process and continuous improvement mindset that John Hall taught me during my time at BCG and things are getting better. BTW, I did sell lutes, those were good enough to sell.
Danl8

Post by Danl8 »

Getting around to finishing the sinker mahogany dred. Still have to cut the nut, install the bridge and polish/clean, but it is almost ready for the strings. The top is torrefied spruce and unfortunately has a midline crack, but that has stabilized. I am inclined to avoid torrefied wood now -- it seems too friable for my liking. Most of my tops are over forty yrs; if they aren't dry now when will they ever be? Anyhow, this guitar will be very lively. A few pix...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Danl8

Post by Danl8 »

one more pic, closer view of rosette, paua and burl veneer. I used the same carpathian elm burl for the head and end graft too.

Edit: June 1. Strings on. Very happy with sound -- rich deep bass, balanced midrange and high registers are very clear, bell-like. Still haven't polished the lacquer, but for a rattle can finish, it's ok as is.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Danl8

Post by Danl8 »

Final pix and post for this series of guitars and, now, on to other projects. I have a swivel breech flintlock rifle that has to be finished this summer, a 25-string baroque lute that has to be finished this autumn, and a long list of spousal projects. Maybe I'll return to guitar-making late this year. BTW, thanks to RC Tonewoods for the nice sinker for this dred. Nice stuff to work and primo figure.
Mike Baker

Post by Mike Baker »

Very nice work, IMO.
Kbore

Post by Kbore »

Danl8 wrote:.... I used wood purfling and celluloid tortoise...
Your guitar work is stunning. I have a question about the tortoise celluloid binding. After finish sanding my project with tortoise celluloid, the bindings show 220 grit scratches. Will those disappear when I apply the Nitro finish? I had some tiny pieces of binding left over and did a sample, spraying with Nitro, but the binding did not turn out glass like smooth. Also tried a acetone "polish" that turned out not so beautiful. How do you get the bindings glossy again?
Measure Twice,

Karl B
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

looks great
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Danl8

Post by Danl8 »

Kbore wrote:
Danl8 wrote:.... I used wood purfling and celluloid tortoise...
Your guitar work is stunning. I have a question about the tortoise celluloid binding. After finish sanding my project with tortoise celluloid, the bindings show 220 grit scratches. Will those disappear when I apply the Nitro finish? I had some tiny pieces of binding left over and did a sample, spraying with Nitro, but the binding did not turn out glass like smooth. Also tried a acetone "polish" that turned out not so beautiful. How do you get the bindings glossy again?
Hi Karl,
Thanks for the kind words. I sanded progressively 220-320-400-600-800-1200-1500 very gingerly on the binding. The nitro then made the surface glossy (binding and wood, too) after successive coats and sanding between rattle sessions.
-d.
Danl8

Post by Danl8 »

tippie53 wrote:looks great
Thanks, John. And Mike Baker, too.
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

You did a beautiful job.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars