Next project(s)

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
Danl8

Re: Next project(s)

Post by Danl8 »

Yesterday I finished the EIR dread shown in the mold in the first post. The strings are on and it sounds great. I didn't manage to mess anything up in a big way on this one I call Plain Jane. I debated (with myself) having no decorations, but settled on some position markers. It has a rattle can finish, but a very basic one at that -- good enuf to be plain. I scraped around for the least expensive materials I could find, probably adding up to a hundred and a quarter $. Mostly fish glue on this one. Next up are the 00-12 and the 12-string, both coming along well.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

It looks great! Good job.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
Danl8

Post by Danl8 »

12-string's finish is almost done 'cept for a little touch-up in the lower bout. I over-built this one after reading about all of the 12-string guitars that have imploded. The bracing is 5/16 and while scalloped, the carving wasn't as much as with the last one I just finished. The bridge plate is not quite as big as ones Martin uses --hopefully it will hold. I hadn't done a three piece back yet and added a brace (no doubt overkill, there) but I don't think that will adversely impact the sound. The box is lively. The top has a prominent bearclaw mark, so I will call this one scarface. Like the last one, this guitar is made with v. low cost wood continuing with my 'build it for cheap' series. Next up is making the FB. Hope to have that completed by the end of the month.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Wow, it's beautiful.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
ruby@magpage.com

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

What is the "cheap" wood? Looks great

Ed
Ed M
Danl8

Post by Danl8 »

ruby@magpage.com wrote:What is the "cheap" wood? Looks great

Ed
It's EIR and Sitka. Sitka is from my old stock, maybe $10 at the time. The EIR is reject throwaway from the local factory costing about $19. I had to do some repair, but after that as good as the expensive stuff. Wish I could get more. :-)
phavriluk

Post by phavriluk »

OP's instruments are testament to the merits of using inexpensive wood in our guitar projects. Love it! We home builders have the time available to do some searching for materials, and it makes financial sense. Like these 'plain' projects.

I've scratchbuilt two this year, third on the bench, and I don't have $150 in any one of them, and they sound good, play well, and have been a joy to build.

OP sure has my admiration and respect for what's been accomplished.
peter havriluk
ruby@magpage.com

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

Dan

"The EIR is reject throwaway from the local factory costing about $19."

What the heck kind of factory is that?

Ed
Ed M
phavriluk

Post by phavriluk »

I think the factory being mentioned makes guitars in Nazareth, Pennsylvania.
peter havriluk