Next project(s)

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
Danl8

Next project(s)

Post by Danl8 »

Since finishing the last three in March, I've made progress on finishing up the sinker dreadnought and started a EIR dread, a 12-string dread and a figured sequoia-topped 00. The first new dread is now getting lacquer and the 00 is getting bent. Thinking of doing a 3 pc back on the 12-string and am looking for the right wood. A few pix of the box-making of the EIR dread....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Danl8

Re: Next project(s)

Post by Danl8 »

Don't have much experience working with celluloid binding - this one is getting Martin ivoroid. That turned out 98% good. More pix:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ruby@magpage.com

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

What do you do with all of these great guitars - do you sell them?

Ed
Ed M
Danl8

Post by Danl8 »

No, I've kept all, but my wife is getting increasingly aggravated tripping over cases. I will probably run out of space or her patience this year. Great fun playing them, though!
-d.
Danl8

Post by Danl8 »

I'm having fun with another project, a 00-12 built with salvage sequoia and dumpster divin' sapele. I just finished binding and am now cleaning it up to get ready for finishing. The top as a raw piece of wood (from RCT) had the best tap tone I've heard in 40 years, absolutely spectacular. We'll see how much I goobered that up with my bracing (terrified red spruce). I need to find a better process for binding, though. Too stressful. I used wood purfling and celluloid tortoise. At this early stage, I happy with it. The colors of the binding and wood peacefully coexist. The box is quite lively and will definitely qualify as a guitar when finished. I'm hoping to get both the dreadnought and the 00-12 finished next week. I just started my next project a dred 12-string which will have a dumpster divin' 3-piece EIR back.

Here's a pic of the 00 top:
joseph d

Post by joseph d »

Wow - thats a beautiful top!
ColestineGuitar

Post by ColestineGuitar »

Never seen redwood with such dramatic quilting.
Slowest builder on the forum. These things take time. Apparently.
ruby@magpage.com

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

Perfect demonstration of the runout caused by the wonky grain. Very cool looking.

Ed
Ed M
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

That is some figure in that top! How cool is that! I LOVE crazy grainlines.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
nkwak

Post by nkwak »

Wow! That's inspiring! You say you've kept them all? Have you given any away or been asked to build one by someone you know?
~ Neil