Yellow Cedar L-1

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
ruby@magpage.com

Re: Yellow Cedar L-1

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

1) Trace around the pieces with a sharp blade (Exacto #11 works great), use alcohol to get the pieces off, and run chalk into the grooves. I also outlined the head

2) Rout with the Dremel and an .031 bit. Clean up with various chisels - this is about the only thing I need this wonderful shallow sweep, 1/16" carving gouge for

3) Fit the pieces one at a time
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ed M
ruby@magpage.com

1) Thin CA glue to stick them in

2) Rub in some ebony dust and add more CA

3) Scrape and sand flush, run through the grits, and a couple of coats of shellac. The quality of the cheap abalone is a little bit disappointing
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ed M
ruby@magpage.com

Trying to get a couple hours a day in on this - it sure takes a while to do some of these steps if you don't do them very often.

1) Finish shaping the neck - spokeshave and file down to the fretboard, then blend the curves using the templates

2) Heel and neck are done - a couple of coats of shellac to keep the dirt off this light wood

3) Haans Brentrup, a retired mandolin and guitar maker of the first order, said he always feels to see if the edges of a fretboard are still square or are they slightly curved into the neck - curved being better. His suggestion was to hold the neck away from you and view from the back - can you see the fretboard on both sides of the neck without moving the neck? It looks like a shadow in this shot, but the black line is the edge of the fretboard - feels great too
Ed M
ruby@magpage.com

1) Head done - the volute was difficult, because any nick in the surface of the soft, light wood leaves a dark spot under a finish. I have a couple of those

2) Getting close to finish time. For a little extra hardness on this soft wood I am going to try John Hall's Min-Wax Wipe-On poly technique this time. I am not a fan of a mirror finish - Nick Lucas wanted his Gibsons to be toned down so the stage lights didn't reflect in his audience's eyes - not that I have any audience except grandkids
Ed M
ruby@magpage.com

Summertime is busy. Had to take time to help with the annual maintenance on our community tall ship, schooner Sultana

1) Fresh bottom Paint

2) Built from actual plans of a 1768 American made, British navy ship

3) Back to the guitar - just three more jobs. First, a heel cap. Mark it for angle to match the curve of the back
Last edited by ruby@magpage.com on Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ed M
ruby@magpage.com

1) Cut an ebony veneer, then thin a piece of Yellow Cedar with matching grain to the back

2) Glue them up

3) Shape with files and sandpaper
Last edited by ruby@magpage.com on Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ed M
ruby@magpage.com

1) Second of three jobs - tuners. Finally get to see what the ebony buttons I installed months ago will look like

2) Happy loofier

3) I like it. The third and last job is locating the bridge
Ed M
Danl8

Post by Danl8 »

I see similarities between hull and heel; both have graceful lines. Sultana looks great. There is another tall ship a few minutes south of here, the Kalmar Nyckel.
Danl8

Post by Danl8 »

Tuning machines and ebony buttons are a perfect style for the YC L-1.
ruby@magpage.com

Dan

I helped build the Kalmar Nyckel in the 90's and have been a volunteer carpenter since then - my 25th year this year. I am going to the Hudson near Albany to sail on her this weekend. Where do you live?

1) Sultana and Kalmar Nyckel - my 2 sweethearts (besides my wife and three daughters). I live 3 blocks up that street, Chestertown MD

2) 140 carvings painted by the paint curator of the Vasa - look her up

3) Early 17th c was the most complicated rig for a tall ship. The Kalmar Nyckel represents the first Swedish colonial ship arriving in 1638
Ed M