Yellow Cedar L-1

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
ruby@magpage.com

Re: Yellow Cedar L-1

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

1) Glued on the center strip on the back against my 15 foot radius batten - probably not necessary, but it may help a little . Cut the strips of the cross grain material off of the excess on the top plate

2) Cut my soundhole doubler off of the top plate and planed it to .070 from .130
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ed M
ruby@magpage.com

Out of town for 10 days and spring chores getting in the way - ready to go again

1) Gluing on the last of the back braces against an arched beam - I laminated all 4

2) Top and back done - the bridge plate is .09 Osage Orange. Turns out the inside of this instrument will be all-yellow

3) Show faces- both Alaskan Yellow Cedar
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ed M
Danl8

Post by Danl8 »

Ed,
Are you using the sound hole doubler as a base for the liner (looks like an edge liner at least)? I like the idea of thinning the excess sound board to use that way.
-d
ruby@magpage.com

Dan

The doubler is just to reinforce and support the soundhole area. Haans Brentrup is famous for copying Larson's and other early 20th c. instruments and he has done this for decades - he is also the guy who copies the laminated braces. I didn't take a picture, but I used a guitar I have to profile the sides roughly before bending them.

1) Best hour in guitar building - bending sides over a pipe

2) Clamp the freshly bent side in the mold to stabilize

3) Yellow Cedar bends wonderfully
Last edited by ruby@magpage.com on Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ed M
ruby@magpage.com

1) While the sides are resting, time to make some kerfed lining. Simple jig takes about 30 minutes to make a guitar's worth incuding the blanks

2) Making use of scrap pine and cedar
Ed M
ruby@magpage.com

1) Glue on the end blocks

2) Run the arched batten around the rims to give them a preliminary shape

3) Dampen the back of the linings and clamp them on to get a bit of the shape into them
Last edited by ruby@magpage.com on Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ed M
ruby@magpage.com

1) Glue on the side reinforcements. I chose green bias tape to go with the abalone

2) Glue on the linings

3) Gratuitous fish picture. Local commercial fishermen on the northern Chesapeake catch catfish in pound nets, then transfer them to holding nets. When they get enough, they sell to various processors. Today they loaded 6,000 pounds of live catfish from the holding net onto a truck. These fish were 16” to about 32”. There were 2 giant carp in there too - one was bigger than 32” and goldish colored.
Ed M
ruby@magpage.com

1) Plane the approximate angle to accept the back onto the lining

2) Using the arched batten to refine the angle on the lining

3} Do the same on the other side and ready for a back and a top
Ed M
ruby@magpage.com

1) Mark the location of the braces that will be tucked into the lining, and mark the length of those braces

2) Trim the ends of the braces and make sure they are the right thickness

Why can't I post more than 3 pictures (and one URL)?
Ed M
ruby@magpage.com

1) Rout the pockets in the lining to accept the brace ends

2) Using a donut-shaped caul, I glue on the back
Ed M