www.KitGuitarsForum.com

Learn to Kit Build a Guitar. Learn to Scratch Build a Guitar. Learn EVERYTHING Guitars Here!
It is currently Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: birdhouse project
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:07 am 

Our small town local arts league has great shows that attract people from all over the East Coast. We just had a member's show (just the locals) and I submitted a table that won People's Choice - scroll to the right (or left) and text below:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ruby1638/36768206774/in/album-72157680433239633/

Well this fed my ego enough that I am entering the March Birdhouse show. My birdhouse will be a Ukulele mounted on top of a pole - in fact the pole is the neck. The top of the dreadnaught body will be 8 feet off the floor. Diane was generous enough to donate walnut for top, back, and sides and I received it yesterday. The tuners are dead cheap, and the frets are drawn on with a gold ink pen that I had here. All of the other walnut is scrap. The piece of pine (almost clear 5/4 X 4) was $7.40 at the local Home Despot. Here is where I am - the uke in the shot is Osage Orange and has the dreadnaught shape:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by ruby@magpage.com on Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: birdhouse project
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:43 am 

Cool idea! Looks great so far

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:16 pm 

Cleaned the shop and started on the songbird house.

Bent the sides. I made them deeper 2-1/2" instead of 1-1/2" - so the birds have will have enough room for a couch and a refrigerator.

Made a batch of kerfed lining. Each of these strips will get ripped down the center into 2. It is clunky because I am not worried about the instrument making sound, just the birds

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:44 pm 

Fun to do with low quality expectations - fly right through it. Cut a couple of end blocks and round them on the belt sander- glue them in

Dampen the back of the lining and clamp it to the body - let it set 15 minutes, then glue it on

Both top and bottom plates fit my 21" plate joining jig. I made it with 4 wedges instead of the usual 3 (can't have too many clamps??) and that worked just right for 2 plates

Ed

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:44 am 

Plates glued and lining installed. I am using Titebond 3 because I will put this thing outside for a few months when the show is over

Rough cut out the back, glue it down, set on the caul I use for a domed or cylindrical back (but this one is flat)

Clamp it down with some weights

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:25 pm 

I have a set of hole saws from house construction. I found that the 2-1/8" hole saw cut a kerf just about right for 2 rounds of b/w purfling

The the 1-1/2" hole saw made the right size hole for most birds - even though it is smaller than the 1-7/8" soundhole that is usually used in ukuleles

A little super glue and I have a rosette

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:28 pm 

back is on - looks good

Added a floor for the birdies to build their nests on - a bit lower than the sound hole

I trimmed some ivoroid binding to get it more in scale with this little instrument

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:55 pm 

Looking good Ed.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:31 pm 

Scrape the rosette and glue on the top

Cut a cap for the heel out of walnut

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:46 am 

It's coming along quite nicely.