Honduran Mahogany/Carpathian Spruce

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
Diane Kauffmds

Honduran Mahogany/Carpathian Spruce

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

I started on this build today, after the accident with the router ruined my original build. The only thing I could save from the original build, was the rosette. I had already routed the top for binding, so naturally, the original top won't fit the new build.

I've bent the new sides, joined the back, and the back is on. I've joined the top. I'll have the rosette and bracing in tomorrow.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
Diane Kauffmds

Re: Honduran Mahogany/Carpathian Spruce

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

The sides are bent and the back is on. The only thing I could save from the other build was the rosette, which I installed in the new top. I have the top, with the x-Braces, transverse, and popsicle braces in the gobar deck. I'll have it done and the box closed either tomorrow or sunday.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Photos.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

The top is completely braced. I'll close the box tomorrow.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

I closed the box today.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

The box is closed and I've routed for the purfling and binding channels. I've installed the top and back purfling today. I'll install the Peruvian walnut binding tomorrow, along with the side purfling.

The guitar top has s wash coat of shellac on it, so it may look funky to you. A couple of places that look like tear out are actually bear claw figure.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

All of the binding is in. I've pore filled the mahogany. I decided to give CA glue a try as a pore filling medium. I knew the stuff had a strong odor. What I didn't expect was for it to Sting my eyes, then burn my nose and throat.

I dawned my full face respirator to finish the coat on the sides and back. I will not use it again. After drying and sanding, I went back to Aqua Coat.

I'll French polish a couple coats to bring out the wood figure, then spray nitro. I have to wait for a few warmer days, so I can open the window, with a vent fan, to spray the nitro.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
Mal-2

Post by Mal-2 »

Diane Kauffmds wrote:I decided to give CA glue a try as a pore filling medium. I knew the stuff had a strong odor. What I didn't expect was for it to Sting my eyes, then burn my nose and throat.
Not only will it irritate the eyes, throat, lungs, etc., but the fumes will cause fogging of transparent acrylic. Even lenses made of glass can be affected because they usually have an anti-reflective coating that is vulnerable.

If you want a cheap example, take an unwanted CD, DVD, etc. or one of the transparent covers that come on the top of a spindle of blank discs, and hold it over the drying CA glue. It will fog up in a second or two, and it's not coming off because it isn't just coating the surface. The acetone solvent is pitting it. Other materials can get a "frost" from the vapors as well, but not actually be damaged (it will rub off).

Also don't breathe that crap. I'm sure you have superglued yourself to yourself at least once, and you know how much prying it takes to get skin to release after that. This is good if you are using the CA glue to close a cut, but not good at all if it's inside your airway. Sure, it doesn't stick very well (or at all) to damp surfaces, but how much abuse do you want to put your respiratory tract through for no good reason? For anything using large quantities of cyanoacrylate, heavy forced ventilation or a fume hood should be considered a minimum, and a separate air supply for you would be even better. I used three drops to perform my repair on the nut slot, and my sinuses are still annoyed at me hours later.
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

I'm a biochemist. I should have known better. Luckily, I keep my 3M, full face respirator right by the bench. I have no intention of using the ca glue again as a pore filled again. There are too many safer, viable alternatives.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

The guitar is looking good. I love the mahogany you have. I have used CA from gluboost a few times for pore filling. I do use a good mask. Still I am hesitant to use it on any instrument bigger than a ukulele due to the fumes and the mess.