First Project - A rebuild

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
Mal-2

Re: First Project - A rebuild

Post by Mal-2 »

Keith Reilly wrote:One thing I also noticed is I cooked my soundboard... Don't know what that will do to the sound but at least it will be covered.
I doubt it will make any difference at all. The bridge adds so much mass and stiffness to that area that it should dominate what lies underneath. It might have a slight effect on rigidity, but not worse than larger holes would have done, and there isn't a whole lot you can do about it now. Just consider them "apprentice marks" and be glad they won't show.
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

You're having a hard time keeping the soundboard glued, plus other problems. I'm going to throw out an alternative, just food for thought.

Have you considered replacing the soundboard?

You said that the guitar has never sounded good and was hard to play. I understand the sentimental value. I have a guitar that was left to me by my husband's late daughter. I ran into problem after problem when I tried to fix all that was wrong with it. In the end, I replaced the top, bridge, and soundboard. It sounds wonderful now and I'm sure that Susan would love it.

You can learn a lot by making a new top.
IMG_9236.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

You're doing A really great job!
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
Keith Reilly

Post by Keith Reilly »

What a difference. I like what you did with the Neck.

It is difficult trying to keep this thing together. However the goal here was really to gain experience and learn from my mistakes with the free materials I have so later on I can build a guitar from scratch and hopefully not mess it up. I will stick with this soundboard as long as I can keep it together. If I break it I will get a new one. I'm not expecting it to sound great but I do want it to be very playable.
Keith Reilly

Post by Keith Reilly »

Good to know cooking the soundboard a little bit won't effect the sound and I'm thankful its on a part I won't see.While it's getting more humidity to close that gap I started to work on the kerfing. This is needed because I don't have enough material there to install new binding and perfling. I had to use magnets for the bottom since the back is still attached and I couldn't get clamps in there. Since there was dried glue already in the joint I shaved the inside edge of the kerfling to clear that.

The magnets were too big and would pinch together at the top. This put more pressure on the top of the kerfling and the bottom was not snug to the side of the guitar. Time to get new Magnets that are a little smaller
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

You are doing it right. I imagine it'll sound much better when you fix everything.

I have the large and small magnets from Stewmac. They're incredibly strong. I'm sure there are other sources. I've bought off of eBay, but I've found that many aren't as strong as advertised. I know that Woodcraft sells them for clamping, and it's a reputable company.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
Kbore

Post by Kbore »

Update? Have enjoyed following...
Measure Twice,

Karl B
Keith Reilly

Post by Keith Reilly »

This project has been on hiatus because I went on one. I quite my job and hiked the appalachian trail. I meant to post here before I left letting anyone who was following know but I was so busy getting things in order I forgot. Anyway Here is my plan:

Remove the rest of the old bracing from the top and work to keep the two halfs together. (actually only one old cross brace left. Waiting until the new x braces are ready so i can put those one right away on not risk splitting the top)

I need to cut and profile the pieces for the new bracing, using parts of the old braces and the torrefied wood I got for the x braces. Then glue them in

Install a new bridge plate, plug the old holes?

Profile the body of the guitar to match the top

Fix the neck, I took off the nut (accidentally, was trying to see if it did anything) that adjusts the truss rod and can't get it back on.

Also I need to consider if I should re fret this guitar. I probably should just to learn how to do it.

Attach the top to the body

Install a saddle and create a Nut for it

Install new binding

Attach the neck

Then finish the guitar. I'm probably skipping something but i'm sure it will be pointed out to me.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone. Here are some off topic pics from my hike
Keith Reilly

Post by Keith Reilly »

And I did start work on the guitar again. I wound up buying a 30ft radius dish to profile the new bracing and the body of the guitar. I did see some tips on how to do the bracing without the radius dish, but i was unsure of how to get the body to match this. Especially since its an old homemade build, it could be quite the mismatch. And it was. I've done a lot of sanding on the dish to make a 30ft radius on the body. The problem is the top and bottom. The top i know should remain flat, but it got sanded with the rest of the guitar body. I just put the body on the dish face down and twisted it back and forth, trying to keep the same center point. I would turn the guitar every so often to try and keep sanding even. The bottom was so out of wack though there is still an 1/8 inch gap when the guitar is on the dish. I've included pictures so you can see what i mean. Its the wrong profile for about 2.5 to 3 inches on either side of the center.

My two questions:

Do I need to keep sanding to get the bottom a 30ft radius or when i clamp the top down during glue up would that gap not be a problem

As far as the top side goes should i try and sand it flat or just leave it with the 30ft radius. If i need to sand it flat how much of the top should i do, how many inches down from the top block I mean.
ruby@magpage.com

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

Some of the Gibsons from the 20-30's had a cylinder not a dome shape to the back and front, and they are some of the best sounding guitars ever made. As long as you can push the plate down to close the gap with your thumb, the clamps will do the same.

How much of the trail did you do??

Ed
Ed M