Little Standards

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
Kbore

Re: Little Standards

Post by Kbore »

Awesome when a plan comes together!
Very nice.
Measure Twice,

Karl B
Danl8

Post by Danl8 »

Thanks, gents. I wanted to post a few sunlit photos. I used a piece of David Warther's new ivoroid material for the heel cap and endclasp (? whatever it is called).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Danl8

Post by Danl8 »

Finally got off my butt and finished the little twins this week. Just strung the rosewood one. Not much boom on the bass but mid and upper ranges very nice. This one has the lute-like top binding and no other binding.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

WOW! The guitar looks great!
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

It looks great!
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
ruby@magpage.com

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

Great size and great look. Can you show close-ups of the ivoroid?

Ed
Ed M
Danl8

Post by Danl8 »

ruby@magpage.com wrote:Great size and great look. Can you show close-ups of the ivoroid?

Ed
Thanks, Ed. Here are the heel caps and the end piece, all from David Warther. The end piece has some vintage coloring like old ivory, more noticeable on camera than in person. The binding is just Martin’s ivoroid. I haven’t decided to go with an ivoroid pick guard yet, still mulling that over.
-d.
ruby@magpage.com

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

Dan

Beautiful job - what is the black material at the sides of the end graft? I have been looking for that material for a long time. I have wanted to use it in a rosette like this early Gibson mandolin rosette. Does he have a website or email address?

I also like the wider grain in your top.

Ed
Ed M
Danl8

Post by Danl8 »

ruby@magpage.com wrote:Dan

Beautiful job - what is the black material at the sides of the end graft? I have been looking for that material for a long time. I have wanted to use it in a rosette like this early Gibson mandolin rosette. Does he have a website or email address?

I also like the wider grain in your top.

Ed
Thanks, Ed,

I might have used ebony; if I did, it was from an Ontario company (I will have to look up their name when I get home) that could cut ebony for the spacers in a lute back. It's less likely that I used ebonized maple which I get from the usual suppliers. The +S grade ivory-like material Ivory is a new replacement polymer that DW is selling now that the Federal gov't prohibits interstate antique ivory trade. (www.guitarpartsandmore.com) He gave me test samples which are used on these two instruments. It's much better than the white plastic that has been widely used.

I agree with you on the top wood. Long, long ago when I got that wood anything less that 25 annular rings per inch was 'paint' grade. As noted earlier in the thread I got a bunch of that stuff and since then top wood preferences have changed (justifiably).
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Thanks for the link. Ive bookmarked it. His prices aren't bad at all.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com