Old Growth Honduran Rosewood/Appalachian Red Spruce 000

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
Diane Kauffmds

Re: Old Growth Honduran Rosewood/Appalachian Red Spruce 000

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

It's been a while since I've been able to work on any of my own projects. I took a couple of days, and I put the Honduran rosewood box together.

This was the first guitar in which I bent the sides myself. I used a bending iron that I picked up off of EBay. I liked the temperature control it offered. I used my husband's surface thermometer, and the temp was within 1 centrigade of where it was set.

It still needs substantial time with sandpaper.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
Danl8

Post by Danl8 »

Ooooh, that one will be a pretty guitar.
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Suggestions are welcome!

I've done inlay, including vines, etc., and I've trimmed pieces, and rearranged them into a different motif. All have started as precut designs.

I've never designed an entire fretboard, nor have I cut inlay. This will be the first of what I hope will be many Diane Kauffmann designs. I'm keeping it relatively simple (for a vine type inlay).

Since the guitar is rosewood, I'm using a rose design. Although some design elements fall on the traditional marked frets, I'm not really concerned about fret marking, because I'm installing side markers. I want a relatively clean and harmonious design.

The headplate design will be a simple design, so that the guitar wont look crowded.

I've been modifying my original drawing. I know the drawing still has to be cleaned up by smoothing the curves, etc.

What do you think about the design elements, placement, etc? I can already see that the stem curve from fret 7 to 12 has to be rounded more.

Thanks guys.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
ruby@magpage.com

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

What colors of inlay material will you use?

Ed
Ed M
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

ruby@magpage.com wrote:What colors of inlay material will you use?

Ed
I have iridescent white mop that flashes a lot of pastel colors, straight off white mop, and a lot of different varieties of abalone. Some of the abalone is bright with a lot of small patterns of colors; one named "donkey ear", which is veneer that is pastel pink/Blue, depending on which direction the light hits it.

I'm making the roses iridescent white. I'll sit down and figure out which type/color makes sense. Here are some of the veneers, types:

donkey ear.jpg
s-l400.jpg
prism abalone.jpg
white sparkle.jpg
white paua.jpg
abalone.jpg
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars