www.KitGuitarsForum.com

Learn to Kit Build a Guitar. Learn to Scratch Build a Guitar. Learn EVERYTHING Guitars Here!
It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:05 am 

Long story, I sanded through the sides trying to remove stain from the cherry. Short story, I'm starting over on this one. Back to a Santos Mahogany and redwood, or maybe Sitka top.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:35 am 

Gator and SKB make nice cases. They're my goto as well. Doesn't all luggage have to be checked on Qatar Airways now?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:38 am 

Oh no! I almost did this on Delilah. I have one spot that got very thin. Fortunately I caught it and it was in the upper bout. I was able to make a contoured piece of wood to reinforce the spot.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:15 am 

I was going to try that Diane, but there are 3 areas, one so thin I think I'll feel better about it just starting over. This guitar body will be hung on the wall as a reminder. It was to be guitar #13. I'm skipping to #14. Nah, I'm not superstitious :)

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 8:48 am 

Kevin Sjostrand wrote:
I was going to try that Diane, but there are 3 areas, one so thin I think I'll feel better about it just starting over. This guitar body will be hung on the wall as a reminder. It was to be guitar #13. I'm skipping to #14. Nah, I'm not superstitious :)

Remember Delilah was guitar #2 1/2. I turned the first into kindling after all the problems, so I know where your coming from.

I had severe problems with Delilah too, but I was unwilling to scrap that special crazy WV cherry or the top I had chosen.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 2:33 pm 

This is turning into quite the humbling experience. So I bent the first side of Santos Mahogany, and it broke at the upper bout. I realized that I just went too fast on the bend, even though the heat was at least 280 at that stage. So, I was out of the SM wood, so I picked out a set of Sapele, and bent both sides successfully on Saturday, joined the back with a strip of walnut in between, made and glued on an inside cedar back strip. Made new neck and end blocks, so I'm back to the races.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 11:43 am 

This project is over, sanded through the side.....a bad story.
I've restarted the guitar so started a new thread.