A Cherry, Redwood and Walnut OM for grandson #2

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
Kevin Sjostrand

Re: A Cherry, Redwood and Walnut OM for grandson #2

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Long story, I sanded through the sides trying to remove stain from the cherry. Short story, I'm starting over on this one. Back to a Santos Mahogany and redwood, or maybe Sitka top.
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Gator and SKB make nice cases. They're my goto as well. Doesn't all luggage have to be checked on Qatar Airways now?
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Oh no! I almost did this on Delilah. I have one spot that got very thin. Fortunately I caught it and it was in the upper bout. I was able to make a contoured piece of wood to reinforce the spot.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
Kevin Sjostrand

I was going to try that Diane, but there are 3 areas, one so thin I think I'll feel better about it just starting over. This guitar body will be hung on the wall as a reminder. It was to be guitar #13. I'm skipping to #14. Nah, I'm not superstitious :)
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Kevin Sjostrand wrote:I was going to try that Diane, but there are 3 areas, one so thin I think I'll feel better about it just starting over. This guitar body will be hung on the wall as a reminder. It was to be guitar #13. I'm skipping to #14. Nah, I'm not superstitious :)
Remember Delilah was guitar #2 1/2. I turned the first into kindling after all the problems, so I know where your coming from.

I had severe problems with Delilah too, but I was unwilling to scrap that special crazy WV cherry or the top I had chosen.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
Kevin Sjostrand

This is turning into quite the humbling experience. So I bent the first side of Santos Mahogany, and it broke at the upper bout. I realized that I just went too fast on the bend, even though the heat was at least 280 at that stage. So, I was out of the SM wood, so I picked out a set of Sapele, and bent both sides successfully on Saturday, joined the back with a strip of walnut in between, made and glued on an inside cedar back strip. Made new neck and end blocks, so I'm back to the races.
Kevin Sjostrand

This project is over, sanded through the side.....a bad story.
I've restarted the guitar so started a new thread.