Sanding plane with shooting board for edges?

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
ChuckBarnett

Sanding plane with shooting board for edges?

Post by ChuckBarnett »

Okay, the newbie cannot plane the edges of the figured maple he planned to use for the back of the tenor ukulele. Randy says sanding is the best option. I came up with an idea after seeing that Veritas (Lee Valley) has a sanding plane and shooting board setup for more money than I'm interested in spending.

Has any one tried sticking sandpaper to the bottom of a hand plane with spray on adhesive and using that with a shooting board? I've a Lie Nielsen low angle jack plane that is about 14" long. Randy says start with 100 grit and work up to 320. Tedious but do-able, particularly when one has more time than experience...

Thanks again for your experience and wisdom in this!
rcnewcomb

Re: Sanding plane with shooting board for edges?

Post by rcnewcomb »

The level in the photo below has sandpaper stuck to the edge. It works well for me.
HorizShooting02.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out - another good day in the shop
John J

Post by John J »

To true up for jointing I use a piece of 1"aluminum (about 30") angle screwed to a piece of mdf 30"x12". Cut adhesive backed sandpaper to fit the angle. Run the back or top pieces in one direction only. Check fit frequently. When you're close you'd be surprised how little pressure it takes to make a change.
Learning every day.
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Chuck, yes. I plane first the put paper on the plane and lightly sand the jointed edges. This works for me even better than paper on the level, which I have used often too.
ChuckBarnett

Post by ChuckBarnett »

rcnewcomb wrote:The level in the photo below has sandpaper stuck to the edge. It works well for me.
HorizShooting02.jpg
MUCH simpler than the plane idea! Plus, the sandpaper doesn't stick to a waxed plane sole too well... :)
ChuckBarnett

Post by ChuckBarnett »

John J wrote:To true up for jointing I use a piece of 1"aluminum (about 30") angle screwed to a piece of mdf 30"x12". Cut adhesive backed sandpaper to fit the angle. Run the back or top pieces in one direction only. Check fit frequently. When you're close you'd be surprised how little pressure it takes to make a change.
Great tips, John! Thank you. :)
ChuckBarnett

Post by ChuckBarnett »

Kevin Sjostrand wrote:Chuck, yes. I plane first the put paper on the plane and lightly sand the jointed edges. This works for me even better than paper on the level, which I have used often too.
Thanks, Kevin. I had waxed the sole of the plane. I'd have to do something about that first, but it's encouraging that you've used this method.