Resonator

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
Kevin Sjostrand

Re: Resonator

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Ed a nice approach to mimic the headstock look.
ruby@magpage.com

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

Down to the wire

On a regular acoustic guitar, the last thing you do is position the bridge for compensation and glue it on. On a resonator, you locate the cone early on, and glue the fretboard on the neck in position for compensation.

1) Now at the end, 2 strings on - with my measured stick, I position the saddle then spin the cone a touch to compensate the saddle

2) I deepen the nut slots carefully - I still use a feeler gauge under the string on the first fret, so it takes a while, but it turns out just right

3) Remove the nut and take down the excess height so about 1/2 of each string is exposed above it,then shape and polish
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by ruby@magpage.com on Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ed M
ruby@magpage.com

So here it is. I don't have another resonator to compare its sound to, but a week from today I will get my daughter to play it for a video
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ed M
ruby@magpage.com

1) Kluson tuners. I left the worm holes - about 8 of them - in honor of the insects that were tunneling in the wood
Ed M
ruby@magpage.com

1) The fretboard binding is cut off from the top and back pieces. There is another worm hole on the heel
Ed M
ruby@magpage.com

I did a lot of things for the first time on this guitar - 1) A resonator, 2) A guitar made entirely from the same log, 3) a rosette around the cover plate of a resonator, which I have never seen before, 4) carved wooden grills, which I have never seen before, 5) using cross-grained slices of the back for fretboard binding, which I have never seen before, 6) carving my first neck, complete with Martin volute.

This has been a great experience. The whole thing is made from the same log, plus some 30 year old walnut for the head and the fretboard. Resonators aren't difficult - just different, and this one sounds very sweet (but loud) to me.

I'll post a video
Ed M
ruby@magpage.com

So here is my last entry in the building of the John Henry. I got a chance to visit my daughter and had her play it. She has her own repair shop in Brooklyn (brooklynlutherie.com) and she plays a 1937 National Duolian on stage. She said that it sounds more complex than a biscuit bridge guitar normally does and that she really likes the sound. She also said I got the set-up right this time. The neck is fat like a National and she liked the feel. This was done on an iPhone, so sorry about the quality. This is the kind of music she loves to play:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsoyGixfXao

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIZ8awL__tY

So thanks for looking, and see you next time.

Ed
Ed M
John J

Post by John J »

Very very cool Ed. I like it. Well done.
Learning every day.
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

That is just sweet Ed. Looks great, sounds great, and you daughter sure plays well.
Thanks for sharing. BUILD ON.