Guitar #3 -- an OM cutaway

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
Kevin Sjostrand

Re: Guitar #3 -- an OM cutaway

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Gorgeous wood there!
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

I got it from Tom Thiel in Center Sandwich, NH. Iit looks even better now, with more finish on it. I hope I can do it justice.
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

I got the kerfing glued on the top edges of the sides and sanded to a 25' radius. Next step will be to put on the side braces.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
John J

Post by John J »

Looking good. I tend to glue the side braces before top or back goes on for ease of clamping.
Learning every day.
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

Good thought. That would be the logical sequence.
MaineGeezer

Gluing in the tail wedge

Post by MaineGeezer »

This should have been done before I glued the back, too.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John J

Post by John J »

Live and learn. This weekend I glued in the x braces before routing and installing the rosette. Made for a challenge ;-)
Learning every day.
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

Yes, that would make life more difficult than it really needs to be!

The wedge came out quite nicely. The hole for the end pin (it will be a pickup jack, hence the 1/2" hole) is centered and everything. I began to think things were going well. I should never do that! I then proceeded to mangle the notch in the X brace. I need to get a couple more strips and try again.
John J

Post by John J »

I like the contrast of the dark wedge against the lighter sides.
Learning every day.
MaineGeezer

Gluing on the top braces

Post by MaineGeezer »

Those of you in snow country will undoubtedly recognize the rods I'm using as go-bar rods. (Maybe they are available in non-snow areas too.) If you're unfamiliar with them, they're fiberglass rods about 4' long used to mark the edges of driveways, sidewalks, and such. They are pretty cheap -- $2 or so apiece -- and work well as go-bar rods. They happen to be just the right length to fit between my bench top and the ceiling.

The wood strips I'm also using are hickory.