Zebrawood 00 Venetian Cutaway

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
John J

Zebrawood 00 Venetian Cutaway

Post by John J »

Starting on my first Venetian cutaway. This will be a 00-14 with an Adirondack top, Ebony fingerboard and Spanish cedar neck (I think). I pre bent the waists last night. Seems to bend fairly easily. Worried about the cutaway bending. I have the mold all set for my bender, with a ram attached.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Learning every day.
John J

Re: Zebrawood 00 Venetian Cutaway

Post by John J »

Whew. Cutaway side bent successfully. Very light mist of water (after a mist of super soft II the night before). Pre bent the cutaway a bit first. Wrapped in parchment paper heat blanket and then aluminum slat onto the heated bender. Went slowly and after bending I let it cool down before removing. The other side was a piece of cake. Now to figure the neck block.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Learning every day.
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

I'll be following this with great interest!
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
John J

Post by John J »

As long as I had my bender out I did my bindings. Wenge, no purfling attached. I think the Zebrawood is busy enough by itself. The cutaway side I did use some super soft as a precaution. All went well.
Learning every day.
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

Super soft? Is that something you can put on the wood to make it bend more easily, or did you somehow get some super soft binding wood?
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
John J

Post by John J »

MaineGeezer wrote:Super soft? Is that something you can put on the wood to make it bend more easily, or did you somehow get some super soft binding wood?
It's a spray on veneer softener. I got it here : veneersupplies.com

I read that on difficult woods/or bends it can help.
Learning every day.
John J

Post by John J »

Working on the neck block. The cutaway side of the block plus the side must come to half the width of the fretboard at the 14th fret. I curved the block to match the curvature of the side as it joins the block.
Learning every day.
John J

Post by John J »

All glued up.
Learning every day.
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Good job!
John J

Post by John J »

Rosette installed and a light shellac coat to protect.
Learning every day.