Zebrawood 00 Venetian Cutaway

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
johnnparchem

Re: Zebrawood 00 Venetian Cutaway

Post by johnnparchem »

really nice rosette!
John J

Post by John J »

Carving begins.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Learning every day.
John J

Post by John J »

Moving a little slow on this one. Too hot/humid to get much done. I've finally finished installing and leveling the bindings and top purfling. I had pre bent the bindings and hand bent the purfling except the cutaway purfling section. Saved that for last. Installed at the same time with titebond. The last section was bent with the aid of super soft and water and a combo of my bending pipe and a heat gun. I'd get it quite warm and then push it in the rebate on the guitar body and hold while it cooled. Quite a few repeats of this step and it finally got close enough to glue in. Sanded level and I'll only have some very minor gaps to fill.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Learning every day.
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Sure is looking nice there John.
ruby@magpage.com

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

Very very nice. The use of the same pattern in the purfling and rosette works very well

Ed
Ed M
John J

Post by John J »

Thanks guys. Finally getting this one done. Started finishing (z-poxy pore fill and Tru oil). Bridge is rosewood, zebrawood and bubinga. I've found this little saw blade for xacto handles works really well for slotting the bridge pin holes.
Learning every day.
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

How did you work out the overlap of the bass side and the treble side? It looks as though you first glued the bass side to the head block so the end was flush, then glued on the treble side so the treble overlaps the end of the bass side. Is that the way you did it?
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

nice one
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
John J

Post by John J »

MaineGeezer wrote:How did you work out the overlap of the bass side and the treble side? It looks as though you first glued the bass side to the head block so the end was flush, then glued on the treble side so the treble overlaps the end of the bass side. Is that the way you did it?
Took me a minute to realize you weren't talking about the bridge pic. Yes that's exactly the way I did the neck block/side attatchment. Seemed the most logical way.
Learning every day.