Build #3: eBay Mahogany Dreadnought Minimally Serviced Kit

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
rcnewcomb

Build #3: eBay Mahogany Dreadnought Minimally Serviced Kit

Post by rcnewcomb »

For build #3 I wanted to try something a little closer to a scratch build. I bought a kit from a seller on eBay. Other than the sides being pre-bent into the basic dreadnought shape it is basically a box of wood, plastic binding material, and fret wire.

I’ll make the braces and the neck from the supplied material. I’ve never carved a guitar neck before but I have carved a few banjo necks. The top and back material needs to be thickness sanded and joined. The sides will need to be trimmed to length.

I’ve started the French Polishing stage of build #2 so starting build number #3 will give me something to do between polishing sessions.
IMG_0486.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out - another good day in the shop
rcnewcomb

Re: Build #3: eBay Mahogany Dreadnought Minimally Serviced K

Post by rcnewcomb »

Sides trimmed to length
IMG_0520.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
- Randall Newcomb
rcnewcomb

Post by rcnewcomb »

This kit may require more work than I anticipated
IKEAguitarKit.jpg
- Randall Newcomb
ruby@magpage.com

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

Randall

I live in a small town and there is a cabinetmaker with a large (20 HP with 3 HP feed belt!) thickness sander. He runs my top, back and sides through for $20. For a neck, you have some experience, but I found it is helpful to glue up nicer parts of a 2X4 and use that as a model for sequence and shape until you get the hang of the big picture. Other than that, it's just cutting fret slots and installing a rosette and you are where a fully serviced kit would be.

Step at a time, step at a time

Ed
Ed M
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

rcnewcomb wrote:This kit may require more work than I anticipated
IKEAguitarKit.jpg
Bwahahahaha!!!

I go to the local lumber company to have my backs, sides, and top thickness sanded. They usually charge me $5 and sometimes $10.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com