My first... Partial kit

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
Michael Thoner

Re: My first... Partial kit

Post by Michael Thoner »

And the other
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michael Thoner

Post by Michael Thoner »

That gets me caught up to date. Now on to setting the neck joint, and the end graft
Michael Thoner

Post by Michael Thoner »

End graft is done ready to install. That is Honduran opal in black epoxy, and Ethiopian opal with a ruby in the white epoxy. Just for the fun of it, I added a drop of glow in the dark paint to the white epoxy
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Michael Thoner on Sat May 14, 2016 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Michael Thoner

Post by Michael Thoner »

Now that the neck is roughed in, time to fill some pores and start the fretboard inlays
Michael Thoner

Post by Michael Thoner »

I'll finish the dovetail after the French polish
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

wow, amazing work. Great idea for the open sound hole cutaway.
Michael Thoner

Post by Michael Thoner »

End graft installed!
Michael Thoner

Post by Michael Thoner »

With a coat of epoxy for filling the pores
Michael Thoner

Post by Michael Thoner »

A closeup of the rosette
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

I've worked with opal for 20+ years now. Good Honduran is hard to find; you have some nice pieces there. your idea for the rosette and end graft are very interesting. I still work almost exclusively with Australian opal that I buy directly from a miner. I've thought of inlaying one of my guitars, using off cuts.

These aren't guitar inlays, but here are of some opals that I've cabbed. I've cabbed a few hundred, and since I never throw out opal, unless it's absolutely colorless, I have everything from chips to large rough laying around. LOL
opal banner for Etsy.jpg
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com