0000-12 fret deeper body

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
kelley71

0000-12 fret deeper body

Post by kelley71 »

Hi guys,

I am pretty pumped. John built this custom mold for me. It is a 0000 12 fret slope. The sides are .25 deeper. I am going to build a guitar I have never heard but I am excited. I have master bee's wing mahogany, african blackwood fretboard and bridge, tortoise bindings. It will be a 25.125 scale. I am trying to decide how much jewelry to put on it.

I am undecided on a top yet. I want to use a D-18 style Golden Era brace pattern. I can't decide whether to use this Lutz top I have or Adirondack, or .... or .....

Thanks for looking. This will be a slow build I am amassing parts as I go. I am building sinker mahog J-45 at the same time.

I got the sides trimmed and in the mold.

thanks for looking
IMG_0151.jpg
IMG_0152.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Danl8

Re: 0000-12 fret deeper body

Post by Danl8 »

Very nice! Looking forward to seeing these two get built.
thronson

Post by thronson »

Sounds like the 0000 is going to be on steroids. it should have a top that has enough high end, like adi.
i'l be checking back from time to time ... t
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Wow, what a great project. I think you'll like the additional depth. I added depth to my 00, which turned out unbelievable. The wood that you chose is really nice. I have a suggestion for wood that you might want to check out. It's a bit more unusual and some folks think of it as an inexpensive form of adi.

I used white spruce on my 00 and fell in love with it. RC Tonewoods has it. It's really beautiful when finished, and it has projection, attack, and I swear it plays before I touch it. Don't let the price fool you. This is used as piano soundboards. I think it would pair well with the mahogany and this is what I'm going to use with my Honduran mahogany guitar when I build it.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
kelley71

Post by kelley71 »

Thanks for the encouragement. This is my fourth build. I am looking at some really nice Adi from Colonial. I used torrefied ADI on my Ziricote blake. If I can find a nice piece might go there. I personally don't like the baked look, I shaded my that top for that reason.

I like big sounding guitars. Playing Bluegrass and Texas fiddle tunes my whole life. I wanted something that was a little different. This should give a good compromise on a dread.

I just have a feeling on a top with that much surface area, I need something pretty stiff. I am shortening the scale just slightly. I don't mind the string tension but I have several songs where my pinky finger just ALMOST ALMOST makes the stretch.

I have plenty of work I can finish until I get my top in the meantime.

Thanks for looking.....

RIP Merle....
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Steve from Colonial is excellent to work with. I asked him if he'd be kind enough to choose a couple of knockout torrified adi tops, then send photos for my customer to see. He chose 4 and sent the photos. My guy was happy, which is all that matters.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
kelley71

Post by kelley71 »

Well,

I have all my blocks glued in. I got my top. I got an amazing piece of Carpathian from John Preston under the advice of John Greven. I am going to use the ADI I bought from him on the banner J-45 I am building as well. I may start a new thread for that one.

I love the shape of this guitar. It just looks cool to me..
Carpathian Top.jpg
IMG_0197.jpg
More to come as I get more parts, Has anyone not used a wedge in the back? My glue joint turned out perfect. It looks like one long piece bent around. The wedge, although easy for others, I have struggled in past builds.

Thanks for looking,
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stray Feathers

Post by Stray Feathers »

On my first two builds I have been referring a lot to my two "store-bought" guitars - a Larrivée D-09 rosewood and a Martin 000-15SM mahogany, and neither has a wedge, but I put wedges on my two builds. Probably a matter of need, if you have to take care of an imperfect seam, or grain mismatch, or choice, if you want to incorporate a design element. I wonder if it looks like better workmanship if you don't need one . . .
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

starting to take shape nice
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com