1st Acoustic Kit Build

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
johnnparchem

Re: 1st Acoustic Kit Build

Post by johnnparchem »

Moving along! The guitar is looking very good.
joseph d

Post by joseph d »

Well I guess things were going to easy. Some how I got a gouge on the top plate...fix it by gluing some fibers in. Looked pretty good but not good enough so I did my usual MO and kept working on it till it reached the point where I could do no more damage. Perhaps a burst is in the future IDK.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
nkwak

Post by nkwak »

Great job so far! I have a feeling that once everything is filled and sanded it will hardly be noticeable. I've seen some pretty ...uh, decorative applications in the past that involved inlay. It covered the mistake but also drew attention to itself. As you say, maybe a light stain around the edges would hide it, but I say again once you do the final sanding it might blend in so much that likely you'll be the only one to know it's there because it might be unnoticeable.
~ Neil
joseph d

Post by joseph d »

Where I got to last weekend
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Oldsoldier

Post by Oldsoldier »

Looking great at this point. Looking forward to seeing your final product.
Jerry
joseph d

Post by joseph d »

Thanks Jerry I hope so.

Trying to do a pumice and shellac grain fill. I think the sides are going to be a lot of work doing it this way. Still trying to get my technique down so any advise is appreciated...
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

The back is looking good. I would just keep going on the sides. Doing a pumice fill is not the quickest pore fill method so just enjoy the process. Probably as you worked on the back you began to get a feel for the amount of shellac and pumice that works best for the fill. I know it sometimes seem hard as it is just as easy to pull the fill out of the pore as it is to put it in.
joseph d

Post by joseph d »

Thanks John I'll give it a go. I'm using a pretty thin cut of shellac for the fill, not sure if that's the right way or if a heavier cut of shellac works better. I'm almost getting the hang of it...every now and then I can see the slurry and move it around where it's needed. The rest of the time I'm just hoping for the best.
joseph d

Post by joseph d »

Thanks John I'll give it a go. I'm using a pretty thin cut of shellac for the fill, not sure if that's the right way or if a heavier cut of shellac works better. I'm almost getting the hang of it...every now and then I can see the slurry and move it around where it's needed. The rest of the time I'm just hoping for the best.
joseph d

Post by joseph d »

Man! I can't believe it's been almost a year since I left off on this. Gonna have to get my head back around this and try to remember where I left off. I think I was almost ready to set the neck but was having some doubts on the neck angle.