StewMac 000 kit build so far

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
Benjy

Re: StewMac 000 kit build so far

Post by Benjy »

Be patient on the refinishing part! It takes a few weeks for it to cure all the way through.

Something that I due now (after a few builds under my belt) A few hours after I finish putting the first few coats of lacquer on, I will look over the finish and drop fill with the clear, (with a small brush) any pore holes, imperfections or gaps that are in the binding.

Enjoy the build! You will be playing that baby before long!

Benjy
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

You and I have the same workbench/vise. I picked mine up from Ebay. It clamps an entire guitar quite nicely (with protection of course).
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
benjaminbusack

Post by benjaminbusack »

Took a shot at a shaded finish. Ended up with a run on first two attempts in the same area (operator error) it sanded out easy and blended just fine. Don't look too closely, or as one of my electrical journeyman said to me back in my apprentice days "If you're running for your life, you won't notice those mistakes on you way by"
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

The burst looks good.
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

nice work
take your time it isn't a race and finish work takes more time than the building
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
benjaminbusack

Post by benjaminbusack »

Thank you,
I know I can/will do better next time around. It's nice to have the neck to work on in between finishing processes.
Always remember, NEVER pray for patience, you might get schooled beyond what was originally hoped for as in this case.
benjaminbusack

Post by benjaminbusack »

A little fretboard work. I lightly glued the inlays to the fretboard and scribed around them, then used a dremel with Stewmac's jig to make the pockets. I had to clean out the corners with a small chisel.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
benjaminbusack

Post by benjaminbusack »

After sanding 220 grit
benjaminbusack

Post by benjaminbusack »

I used these clamps to glue the fretboard to the neck rather than the suggested "rubber band" method in StewMac's instructions. My fretboard didn't have any back bow after frets were installed, it actually flattened out almost perfectly. I will probably drop a little superglue into the sides of the fret slots although they are not loose.
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

Looks like you are really close. Looking good.