Bass dulcimer

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
MaineGeezer

Sound Sample

Post by MaineGeezer »

Here's a bit of a rather ragged version of "Bonaparte's Retreat."
The bridge wasn't in quite the right place, so it goes progressively more out of tune as I go up the fretboard. I ought to do an in-tune version....!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
MaineGeezer

Another sound sample

Post by MaineGeezer »

A sample played by my wife who, unlike me, actually can play the dulcimer.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
MaineGeezer

Re: Bass dulcimer

Post by MaineGeezer »

Still some problems I haven't addressed. I still need to level the frets. There are a couple the buzz ferociously.

I also need to pay attention to the string slots in the nut and the saddle. I've got it set up with a drone string (4 strings total), and wouldn't you know it, the drone string (2nd) has a buzz at the nut, or saddle, or both. One or both string slots is not quite right, and the thing sounds like the drone on a sitar! Sort of a shimmering vibrato. The dulcimer has so much sustain that the drone gets established and just keeps going. Coming from a dulcimer, it's a bit disconcerting.

I made a pass a reshaping the string slots, and that helped a bit to reduce the metallic shimmer in the drone sound. More to go.
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

That is a very cool looking instrument, sounds very "ol timey" too.
Love it.
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

I got some of these http://www.ubbcentral.com/store/item/ge ... 80112.html and worked over the nut and saddle, and leveled the frets. Much better! The annoying "zing" is gone.

I figured out what those "nut slotting saw rods" are, unfortunately only after I spent 16 bucks for Geetrar Gizmo's set of six. They are actually oxy-acetylene torch tip cleaners. You can buy a wider-range set of 12 or so for $3.97 from Home Depot http://www.homedepot.com/p/Lincoln-Elec ... p+cleaners .