A class guitar out of Blues Creek Guitars University

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
Danl8

Re: A class guitar out of Blues Creek Guitars University

Post by Danl8 »

By February the guitar is lacquered and ready for our final session. The neck set is redone and trued up. Titebond and minor shims are used to lock the dovetail in.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Danl8

Post by Danl8 »

The tuners are fitted. Lacquer is fragile around the bushing holes -- have to be careful. You will notice I goobered the side of the inlay (too close to the edge on the treble side). The plastic binding is easier laying in than wood and ivory, I might try it again. The bridge is made and cut with the mill (the fantastic machine). After the neck is glued, the bridge location is set. These are the money sessions for the class; the quality of the instrument rides on the accuracy of the string OAL and location.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Danl8

Post by Danl8 »

More pictures of the bridge and nut set up. Setting the neck relief was new to me as was prepping the frets. I definitely need to find a diamond fret crown file. I really appreciated how John sets up the action including the nut string spacing.
Danl8

Post by Danl8 »

The perfect way to cap off the project is playing the guitar. The quality of the sound continues to evolve and is definitely worth the effort. I am adding a pic or two of the completed guitar. For those of you who are contemplating a class at Blues Creek I would encourage you to do it. John is not only dedicated to your learning, but John and Brenda are gracious hosts as well, making your time there well-spent and enjoyable.
Danl8

Post by Danl8 »

Oops that last picture had the jaggies. Try this one...
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Wonderful, wonderful, job. It's a beautiful guitar. I'll definitely check into a class.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
ColestineGuitar

Post by ColestineGuitar »

the guitar AND the chair both reek of old-school quality... I can smell it even through the internet.
Slowest builder on the forum. These things take time. Apparently.
Danl8

Post by Danl8 »

ColestineGuitar wrote:the guitar AND the chair both reek of old-school quality... I can smell it even through the internet.
LOL, how did you know I built that chair, too? I am competing for a partial claim on your 'slowest builder' title; I started an F-5 mandolin copy and a dulcimer in the early 1980s/late 1970s and I am still years away from finishing. :-)
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

yes that is a beautiful chair. Artfully done my friend
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Dan, just catching up on posts. Your guitar turned out awesome. Nice work you two. Over the years you expect to see awesome guitars coming out of the Blues Creek shop.