Guitar #4-Something Different in Figured Walnut

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
Diane Kauffmds

Guitar #4-Something Different in Figured Walnut

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Guitar #4 will be a 00-12 fret, deep body made from highly figured WV walnut and white spruce. What makes this guitar different is that it will be a fully accurate, 1/4 scale model guitar. I plan on making it accurate clear down to the 1/16" wide, scalloped x-braces. I'm going to bind it in curly maple, with an inlaid rosette (choice of wood unknown), and curly maple end wedge. The neck will have a dovetail joint, and will be made of black walnut. Here are the specs:

00, 12-fret

Short Scale 6.225"
Length of box-4 29/32"
upper bout width-2 7/16
lower bout width-3 17/32"
upper bout depth-13/16"
lower bout depth-1 1/64"

Fretboard

19 frets
total length-4 9/64
length at 12th fret-3 7/64
width at nut-7/16"
width at body 17/32"
fretboard will have 19 frets, spaces calculated by the Stewmac Fret Position Calculator

Bone nut
bone saddle
ebony fretboard
ebony bridge

I'm going to design mother of pearl inlay for the fretboard and headplate; I'll do that down the road. Below are photos of the plan I've drawn, which is to scale +/- 1/64", and of the wood. The photo of the bookmatched back was taken with a plastic template with the guitar drawn on the top. Unfortunately, it's a bit frosted, so it obscures the color of the wood (I want to reuse the template, so I didn't want to cut it). The sides were cropped in photoshop. I placed the back and sides together in photoshop. The actual pieces of wood that I'm using are pictured at the bottom.

I'm going to finish the classical, before starting this project. This little guitar is going to be made of leftovers from previous builds. Fortunately, I don't throw scraps of wood away, not even fretboard cut offs.
plans.jpg
model guitar back and sides.jpg
sides1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com