L-0 and behold

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
John J

Re: L-0 and behold

Post by John J »

I went with the popsicle brace. Box is closed. Bindings next along with the neck. I reall like the shape of this one, at leas visually.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Learning every day.
John J

Post by John J »

More pics.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Learning every day.
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Looking good.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
John J

Post by John J »

Some more progress. Bound the fretboard and did the inlays. I made the diamonds from padauk cut so the end grain shows. Side markers are from some padauk "toothpicks" I made. Neck carved and tenon created/bolt on style. Head plate and backstrap on. Bridge created from a laminate of Brazilian rosewood and padauk. Test fitted tonight not too bad. Need to do some tweaking.
Learning every day.
John J

Post by John J »

More pics.
Learning every day.
John J

Post by John J »

A couple more.
Learning every day.
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Excellent John. I've given serious thought to inlaying my next fretboard with a vine, using various woods, similar to Italian wood inlay that you see in jewelry boxes. You're use of woods for the markers is a unique and great choice!
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

That bracing pattern was the basis for what I used on my 2nd guitarr (See "Cherry Parlog Guiar Project #2" in the build blog.) The bracing description stats about here: viewtopic.php?f=48&t=7255&start=50#p40001

Carter (the luthier I'm workin gwith) adapted the Gibson scheme by using full-length bent braces instead of straight braces in two sections for the top-to-bottom braces, which are of course stronger over that distance, (there is no break in the middle) and the curvature greatly adds to the stiffness.

My guitar came out great, and Carter has built several guitars using the curved bracing. I think it's proven itslef. Feel free to use it, and there is no need to add more bracing to Carter's pattern.

Carter's website is http://www.submusicworks.com
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
John J

Post by John J »

Thanks for the nice comments. It is a bit on the wild side. I'm calling this my "Tex-Mex" guitar. It gives off a southwest vibe. I kept track of my time building this one and the guitar is ready for finishing in just over 51 hours. We'll see how long the finish process is. I don't know whether that's a good time or not as I haven't kept track before.

One year ago I was starting to glue the top bracing on my first one, the 000 kit from KMG. Love this stuff. Thanks for letting me share my fun.
Learning every day.
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

Impressive grain pattern and color!
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion