A class guitar out of Blues Creek Guitars University

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
Danl8

A class guitar out of Blues Creek Guitars University

Post by Danl8 »

Last year I decided to get some formal training in making steel string guitars and on learning that John Hall does that, I signed up for a class. This wiil be a few posts and a bunch of pictures of the building of Maddy T. Addy, a style 43 3/4 otherwise traditional 1930s-style dreadnaught. The training was fast-paced, fun and packed with content. When I first met John on day 1 he said "I will not let you build a bad guitar." What an understatement. I took too many pictures, so it will take a week or more to blog this project.

We finished the guitar this morning; it's really nice and sounds great. Here are pictures from the setup this morning and John taking a test drive after stringing.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tippie53

Re: A class guitar out of Blues Creek Guitars University

Post by tippie53 »

this was a lot of fun for me. The guitar has great sustain and clarity up the neck. Plays like a dream. Dan was a great student . How lucky I am that I am in a business where so many customers do become friends. It is an honor for me to do this
Can't wait for this to open up and finds its voice. Torrifies red spruce top.

Dan thanks again for the opportunity

Dan also makes lutes. He is indeed talented
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
thronson

Post by thronson »

the appointments are beautiful... one great guitar there...

t
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

WOW! I definitely want to sign up for a class when I'm able. That is a beautiful guitar!
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
Danl8

Post by Danl8 »

After picking out the wood, the first step was joining the top and back. A swipe or two with a plane and gentle sanding on a large granite surface plate got the edge straight. If the joint is true (holding up to the window checking for any photons getting thru) and then the glue-up proceeds to a flat, wax papered surface and the Scotch 233+ tape. We take care to notch the end ever so slightly so the joint can later be found (it's that tight). Several strips of tape are all that is necessary and a little time to cure.
IMG_4250_Glue-up top.jpg
Next up is thickness sanding and picking the inside surfaces for bracing. The center strip is added and contoured with a concave sanding caul and protective SS sheets.
_DSC2350_radiusing ctr strip.jpg
The braces are prepared, radiused, located with the halo template and then glued with hide or fish glue. the picture shows the beautiful Braz RW D-45 that was being built in parallel.
_DSC2356_Halo for braces_BrRW.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Danl8

Post by Danl8 »

The gluing takes place in the dish and go-bar deck. After the glue has wet-congealed, it's scraped and cleaned up.
_DSC2360_Gluing back braces.jpg
Danl8

Post by Danl8 »

here are some of the pictures from the class..

After bending, it's time for the blocks. You will notice the screw for locking everything up. (Make sure the pilot hole is sufficient...post-class lesson) The pearl inlaying was something I wanted to work on; John's techniques were so fast and good looking.
Danl8

Post by Danl8 »

the halo template works so nicely. Should help me tighten up my fitting. John is an artiste even with the iPad camera! This was my first introduction to the go-bar deck. Sweet.
Danl8

Post by Danl8 »

The box was closed up and trimmed in 2.5 days from start. I think this was the first time I ever used a regular router. I would have taken a few weeks to chisel and sand the edges in the past. The guru leveled out the neck; I just stood back in awe... way too far above my skill grade...not even gonna try it on scrap wood. Last picture is the set up for the pearl around the extension. Follow the process and the result comes. I've done a lot of fancy stuff in the past and this isn't harder just a little different.
Danl8

Post by Danl8 »

Another thing I wanted to learn more about, the modeling of the corners of the head. I make it too hard -- just gotta remove the wood you don't want there. And finally the box and neck joined ready for final sanding before sending off to finishing. Making the peg head is routine, but aided by this fantastic machine, the end mill (is that the right name?). Highly accurate and worth re-purposing a garage for. Next post will be the final steps.