A classical guitar for Wayne!

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
Kevin Sjostrand

Re: A classical guitar for Wayne!

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Well this one is stalled right now, waiting on the person who I'm building it for to......make a final decision on whether he wants it. It's not the money, they have plenty, so right now I need to be patient for another week or so, then I will ask him and try and get some finality.
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

I understand. Sometimes life intervenes. Hope it goes well.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
Kevin Sjostrand

Wayne finally decided he will take the guitar! Yah! I will be getting back to this guitar this week. The goal is to have it done by September 21 and take it to its owner in Boise, ID.
I have a lot to do, so I better get to it. My daughter and her family have been with us the last 18 days but are leaving today so I can get back in the shop.
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

Well that was a long time in coming. Great news.
Kevin Sjostrand

Yeah they sold a beach house and had two deaths, one of which was his mother in that time, so it was understandable.
But he is back on track now.
Kevin Sjostrand

So I finally got back on this build. I now have a nice AAA Engleman spruce top plate joined, and the back plates joined with a 1/8" wide back strip of EIR, and cut out to shape with the back brace locations marked. I'll be putting in a birdseye maple center strip, and the braces on the back will be Honduras Mahogany.
The rosette going into the top is lovely, Russian made from LMI.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kevin Sjostrand

Got the back braced and fit to the rims, the curly Koa end wedge installed, the rosette installed, top thicknessed and the bridge patch glued in place. Off we go!

And as I was thicknessing the top on the BACK side, guess what showed up....a pitch pocket beneath the sound hole....just like in Robbie's video series....thankfully mine was on the inside. The outside is okay as long as I don't sand it much anymore.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kevin Sjostrand

pitch pocket.........
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

It is good seeing this project back on the work bench. I like the rosette you are using.
Kevin Sjostrand

Last night I planed the bridge patch down to about 1.3 mm, and I sealed the rosette with CA glue and sanded it back down flush. Hoping this helps maintain the color in the rosette when I do the shellac FP