A classical guitar for Wayne!

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
Kevin Sjostrand

Re: A classical guitar for Wayne!

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

I now have the fan braces on and shaped. Tonight I will get the rest of the top braces glued in place!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kevin Sjostrand

The top is now all braced and ready to be fit to the rims. Gone for the weekend so I'll get back to it Monday night.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kevin Sjostrand

Duplicate
Kevin Sjostrand

I now have the top and back fit to the rims. I will be (hopefully) closing the box on this one tonight.
Kevin Sjostrand

I attached the back and top last night and routed them flush to the sides. It is starting to look like a guitar now.
This is down on the solera in the gobar deck. The back is glued first, then the top is glued with it down on the solera, and the neck is set a about a 1.5mm downward set. This will allow for a shorter height bridge.
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

Looks great! Moving right along.
Kevin Sjostrand

I am working on this guitar. I've glued a .022" thick EIR purfling onto the curly Koa bindings for a side purfling and now I'm truing up the sides in preparation for cutting the binding channels. I should be doing that by this weekend. I will get started on the fretboard.
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

Do you taper your fret board treble to bass? I did not on my last classical guitar. This left the saddle 2 mm higher on the bass side, with a 4 mm - 3 mm action at the 12th fret, which was more noticeable than I liked.
Kevin Sjostrand

John I haven't been doing that but on this one I thought I'd try it. If the board is flat to start with I may try doing it in the drum sander, otherwise I'll have to lower the bass side after the fretboard is glued down; which I'd rather not do - black sawdust all over my pretty top. I'll have to make a mask for the top so that doesn't happen.
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

Kevin Sjostrand wrote:John I haven't been doing that but on this one I thought I'd try it. If the board is flat to start with I may try doing it in the drum sander, otherwise I'll have to lower the bass side after the fretboard is glued down; which I'd rather not do - black sawdust all over my pretty top. I'll have to make a mask for the top so that doesn't happen.
Robbie puts a 1 mm shim along the base side and runs it through a drum sander. I generally take the mm off the bottom of the fret board before I glue it on.