www.KitGuitarsForum.com

Learn to Kit Build a Guitar. Learn to Scratch Build a Guitar. Learn EVERYTHING Guitars Here!
It is currently Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:52 am 

I admire your dedication. I remember reading the posts a couple of years back and wishing you well. If that is the Stanley/Bailey plane you paid $40 for, it was worth it - a lovely pre WW1 plane that is all you will ever need.

Also - what is an "apron" plane? I have never heard that term.

Ed

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:23 pm 

ruby@magpage.com wrote:

Also - what is an "apron" plane? I have never heard that term.

Ed

It's just another term for a small hand plane that's 6" or under. Veritas calls their 5 1/2" low angle plane, an apron plane.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:32 pm 

There are several plans on the internet, for a jig to cut your rosette slot. Here's the one that I use. Its just a circle cutter thats geared toward rosettes. Many luthier supply sites carry rosette cutting jigs. I bought mine.

As you can see, it's 2 pieces of plexiglass that slide back and forth. The jig is held in the center by a 1/4" pin. The width of the circle is adjusted by the bolt with a wingnut. I bought mine, but I had to make a couple of changes to it to make it better. I glued a 1/4" metal washer to the hole in the plastic where the center post resides, to ensure that the plastic won't enlarge over time. Also, I ground down each side of the bolt head, that allows width adjustment, to ensure that it sits entirely in the slot. When i got the jig, it wasn't sitting flat because of the bolt. I still consider it very reasonable in price.

I bought mine from here:

https://www.jsbguitars.com/shop/guitar-building-tools/rosette-inlay/guitar-rosette-router-attachment

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:57 pm 

I got lucky a few years ago and found a used StewMac rosette jig at an unbeatable price. Then I made a ukulele and the S-M jig wouldn't go small enough so I made one based on it. Then I made a resonator with an 11" rosette and the S-M jig wouldn't go big enough so I made another - just look at Diane's and you will see how easy it is to make.

Ed

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:19 pm 

ruby@magpage.com wrote:
I got lucky a few years ago and found a used StewMac rosette jig at an unbeatable price. Then I made a ukulele and the S-M jig wouldn't go small enough so I made one based on it. Then I made a resonator with an 11" rosette and the S-M jig wouldn't go big enough so I made another - just look at Diane's and you will see how easy it is to make.

Ed

This can be a problem. I've not checked the size range, but Ed is right. There isn't much to them at all.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:29 pm 

yeah, that's pretty much what I plan on doing. I may use thin plywood for mine though, I haven't sourced any cheap plexiglass yet and I'll want to get started quickly. At times there are scraps of 1/4" aluminum at work that I may be able to work with. I have taps ect. that I can use, but I can't weld anything. We'll see. Sometimes I'm tempted to just mount a long bit of masonite to the bottom of my router and drill some centers in it untill I get the right radius by trial and error (kind of has something like what is in Cumpiano/Natelson), but it would also be nice to have something more flexible.

Oh, yeah I did spend $40 on that plane. I've got it working pretty well now as a smoother. I have a newer #5 that I have set up for a coarse cut, so a couple swipes with the 5 and clean up with the 4 and I have a pretty good system. I have a really junky #5 waiting to be turned into a cambered/scrub (ish) plane. I don't really need it for the guitar though so it will wait awhile.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:31 pm 

Here's the apron plane. I like it so far, but I have limited experience. Some people complain about the wide mouth, but I've yet to use it where it would matter. It is a nice size and feels super solid and easy to adjust.
Attachment:
apron closeup.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:14 pm 

I'v enjoyed watching your progress so much I felt compelled to de-lurk and add my encouragement. I'm working on #2 now, after a long hiatus, and #1 has become my favorite guitar by far. Like yours, my first build was largely about making jigs and buying tools, not to mention tons of research. I am extremely quiet here on KGF, but I received so much help from these folks! Anyhoo, carry on, man. Keep posting.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:07 pm 

Thanks! I too am a massive lurker. I've spent a year or so looking at the Sawmill Creek Neanderthal Haven forum and I don't think I've ever posted there. I will keep posting, but they may be spaced apart a bit. I'm not the fastest at this.

I bought a cheap white plastic cutting board that I am going to try to use for the material for my rosette jig. I also got a bunch of cool parts from HD for it. I'm going to try to make a fine adjustment thread on it. I know, I know, too complicated for a first guitar, but I enjoy playing with this stuff. It'll probably be next weekend before I can do any serious work on it though. The funny thing is, I think the next instrument I will build will be a mandolin (I'm actually more of a mando player than a guitarist) so half of these jigs will sit around until I decide to build another guitar.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:18 pm 

Talladam wrote:
...I know, I know, too complicated for a first guitar, but I enjoy playing with this stuff...

If you enjoy it, go for it. Don't let anyone tell you that something is too complicated or out of the realm of a beginner.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next