1st Build-OM from scratch and my workbench

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
ruby@magpage.com

Re: 1st Build-OM from scratch and my workbench

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

I admire your dedication. I remember reading the posts a couple of years back and wishing you well. If that is the Stanley/Bailey plane you paid $40 for, it was worth it - a lovely pre WW1 plane that is all you will ever need.

Also - what is an "apron" plane? I have never heard that term.

Ed
Ed M
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

ruby@magpage.com wrote:
Also - what is an "apron" plane? I have never heard that term.

Ed
It's just another term for a small hand plane that's 6" or under. Veritas calls their 5 1/2" low angle plane, an apron plane.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

There are several plans on the internet, for a jig to cut your rosette slot. Here's the one that I use. Its just a circle cutter thats geared toward rosettes. Many luthier supply sites carry rosette cutting jigs. I bought mine.

As you can see, it's 2 pieces of plexiglass that slide back and forth. The jig is held in the center by a 1/4" pin. The width of the circle is adjusted by the bolt with a wingnut. I bought mine, but I had to make a couple of changes to it to make it better. I glued a 1/4" metal washer to the hole in the plastic where the center post resides, to ensure that the plastic won't enlarge over time. Also, I ground down each side of the bolt head, that allows width adjustment, to ensure that it sits entirely in the slot. When i got the jig, it wasn't sitting flat because of the bolt. I still consider it very reasonable in price.

I bought mine from here:

https://www.jsbguitars.com/shop/guitar- ... attachment
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
ruby@magpage.com

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

I got lucky a few years ago and found a used StewMac rosette jig at an unbeatable price. Then I made a ukulele and the S-M jig wouldn't go small enough so I made one based on it. Then I made a resonator with an 11" rosette and the S-M jig wouldn't go big enough so I made another - just look at Diane's and you will see how easy it is to make.

Ed
Ed M
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

ruby@magpage.com wrote:I got lucky a few years ago and found a used StewMac rosette jig at an unbeatable price. Then I made a ukulele and the S-M jig wouldn't go small enough so I made one based on it. Then I made a resonator with an 11" rosette and the S-M jig wouldn't go big enough so I made another - just look at Diane's and you will see how easy it is to make.

Ed
This can be a problem. I've not checked the size range, but Ed is right. There isn't much to them at all.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
Talladam

Post by Talladam »

yeah, that's pretty much what I plan on doing. I may use thin plywood for mine though, I haven't sourced any cheap plexiglass yet and I'll want to get started quickly. At times there are scraps of 1/4" aluminum at work that I may be able to work with. I have taps ect. that I can use, but I can't weld anything. We'll see. Sometimes I'm tempted to just mount a long bit of masonite to the bottom of my router and drill some centers in it untill I get the right radius by trial and error (kind of has something like what is in Cumpiano/Natelson), but it would also be nice to have something more flexible.

Oh, yeah I did spend $40 on that plane. I've got it working pretty well now as a smoother. I have a newer #5 that I have set up for a coarse cut, so a couple swipes with the 5 and clean up with the 4 and I have a pretty good system. I have a really junky #5 waiting to be turned into a cambered/scrub (ish) plane. I don't really need it for the guitar though so it will wait awhile.
Talladam

Post by Talladam »

Here's the apron plane. I like it so far, but I have limited experience. Some people complain about the wide mouth, but I've yet to use it where it would matter. It is a nice size and feels super solid and easy to adjust.
apron closeup.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ColestineGuitar

Post by ColestineGuitar »

I'v enjoyed watching your progress so much I felt compelled to de-lurk and add my encouragement. I'm working on #2 now, after a long hiatus, and #1 has become my favorite guitar by far. Like yours, my first build was largely about making jigs and buying tools, not to mention tons of research. I am extremely quiet here on KGF, but I received so much help from these folks! Anyhoo, carry on, man. Keep posting.
Slowest builder on the forum. These things take time. Apparently.
Talladam

Post by Talladam »

Thanks! I too am a massive lurker. I've spent a year or so looking at the Sawmill Creek Neanderthal Haven forum and I don't think I've ever posted there. I will keep posting, but they may be spaced apart a bit. I'm not the fastest at this.

I bought a cheap white plastic cutting board that I am going to try to use for the material for my rosette jig. I also got a bunch of cool parts from HD for it. I'm going to try to make a fine adjustment thread on it. I know, I know, too complicated for a first guitar, but I enjoy playing with this stuff. It'll probably be next weekend before I can do any serious work on it though. The funny thing is, I think the next instrument I will build will be a mandolin (I'm actually more of a mando player than a guitarist) so half of these jigs will sit around until I decide to build another guitar.
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Talladam wrote:...I know, I know, too complicated for a first guitar, but I enjoy playing with this stuff...
If you enjoy it, go for it. Don't let anyone tell you that something is too complicated or out of the realm of a beginner.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars