1st Build-OM from scratch and my workbench

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
Talladam

Re: 1st Build-OM from scratch and my workbench

Post by Talladam »

Here (if it works) is a sound recording. It is done with an inexpensive condenser mic that I've never really gotten the hang of. The recording isn't exactly accurate to the sound of the guitar but it's the only equipment I have for now besides an iphone. I think it still sounds nice, just not quite the same as what I hear in person.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stray Feathers

Post by Stray Feathers »

Congratulations! It sounds great - surprisingly mellow for a new guitar! And nicely played too. You have revved me up some - my Engelmann and Walnut OM copy is ready for spraying, and I am looking forward to hearing it for the first time. Bruce W.
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Good job: it sounds terrific!
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
Talladam

Post by Talladam »

I think some kind of summary would be a nice way to finish this thread off. When I look back at the course of the project there are a few places where I think I would do things differently and a few things I'm really happy I did. I wish I could remember to post all my 'lessons learned' but I'm afraid I'll just have to go with what comes to mind right now.

Firstly: the workbench. No regrets at all on this front. At the moment I'm completely happy with it. It is much taller than many workbenches and it seems the perfect height to me. The only thing I would maybe do differently is make it a bit easier to sit at. Someday I will build or purchase a nice stool.

Should I have taken a course? A friend of mine did a guitar building course here in town a year or two ago and I believe he is on his third or fourth guitar at the moment. On talking to him I realized how far he has come in such a short time. The reason I decided to do this on my own was because by doing it this way I ended up with a big pile of tools for the next build. On the other hand, this one took four years or so, maybe the course would have paid off.

Should I have done a kit build? I don't think this suits my personality. The journey of the build and lessons learned along the way are the most important part. The tools are the only thing that might make the kit appealing. I did purchase quite a few tools. On the bright side, I spread the purchases out over 4 years so it didn't seem too bad.

On my choice of plans: I did the Kinkead guitar because his instructions give specific references to his plans. As it turns out this wasn't as key as I thought it would be. I think I would probably go out and get the best set of plans I could and just reference Kinkead and Cumpiano (and the forums) along the way. As for the advice people give to pick one book or method and follow it exclusively, well I guess I kind of ignored it. I understand the reason people advise this, but there are parts of the Kinkead method that I'm not sure are ideal and there are incomplete instructions for other parts. Some examples of departures from his method were: a smaller bridge plate made of Osage Orange (wood choice was a whim), a smaller bridge, a slightly smaller (although still quite big) upper transverse brace, braces carved lower than Kinkead's recommendation, a slightly deeper bout (another whim), and different string spacing. I also used a radius dish for the top and back and used Hesh's tutorial (see my post on shaping the rim for neck angle) for the upper bout. Oh, and I did a scarf joint for the headstock. I spent a lot of time trying to make sure I understood how each part affected the other parts and other processes, and it worked out OK, but I totally understand how things can go south this way.

The biggest problems I had were bending the sides and installing the binding. I used a pipe with a torch and it was too hard to control the temperature. When you are learning to bend I don't think you can afford to worry about the temperature. I have a barbecue lighter to heat the pipe now and for my mandolin sides I will make a heat controller for it. I do work at an industrial controls company so I have no excuse not to. The binding problems I believe were somewhat a result of the non-straight sides. Once that is sorted out I think it is just practise and experience (and I have an idea of how to modify the binding jig I made).

The finish is beautiful on the back and sides, but too thin over a couple of spots that must not have been totally level over the bear claw. It is also a bit soft and is already showing a few scratches, but I think it may harden up a bit more over the next little while. Next time I am interested in trying a brush on lacquer, maybe EnduroVar or Crystallac Brite tone? I think I'll do a bit of testing over the next little while.

The best parts were the ones that went smoothly and where I felt I learned a lot. The rosette jig I made worked perfectly and the rosette looks painted on. Bracing and carving braces was a ton of fun if a bit of a mystery. The whole build I thought I had perhaps left them a bit too stout, but the guitar is not thin sounding at all I think this may be because the bracing is quite light (or stops entirely) as it nears the lining. I also thinned the top around the perimeter after the fact. The neck was really fun to make and feels great. I followed the heel shape on the Kinkead design, but now that I look at it I think it is a little chunky. I love the early Martin style neck profile. Doesn't seem too big at all. My capo had to get adjusted and now it doesn't clamp to the headstock for safekeeping like it did before. Although the bridge is full of filler strips and mistakes, it looks great and makes me very happy when I look at it. Although the curly maple binding was a huge pain and took forever, I love it every time I look at it so it was worth the fuss. The mandolin is getting plastic binding though...

Altogether I am very happy with the whole project. People will say it is perfectly fine it took so long, and if it was just the learning process that took time I would agree, but a lot of the delay was from procrastination and avoidance. I will try to keep the fire going a bit better for the next one. This forum and this thread has been amazing and is probably one of the reasons I got finished. Thank you to everyone who gave advice or encouragement!
Stray Feathers

Post by Stray Feathers »

Thanks for your very thoughtful assessment of your build process. In many ways it takes me back to my first builds - arguing with myself over Kinkead versus Cumpiano and Natelson versus information from the forum. I used Brite Tone on my first two for various reasons (thread on here somewhere) but I think I put it on too heavy (not thinned enough) but like you would be curious about brushing it on. But I am now into spraying Number 3 with nitro, using better equipment. I share your view about the value of the support on the forum, but you have said it in a most eloquent way - another sign of the experience and willingness to share so evident here. Please keep us posted as you move on to other projects! Bruce W.