1st Build-OM from scratch and my workbench

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
MaineGeezer

Re: 1st Build-OM from scratch and my workbench

Post by MaineGeezer »

If anybody else is interested, here's a PDF of 15', 25', and 28' radii (at least they're supposed to be). If printed 1:1 they shoud be correct. A place like Staples can do it

There are several free 2D CAD programs available for downloading -- DraftSight is one -- that you could use to draw your own.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Your jig for making the radius dishes looks just like what I did. It was tedious but worked out great after all the dust was cleaned up.
Nice little shop work area too, I like it.
Talladam

Post by Talladam »

It looked like a tree exploded in my back yard.
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

You're making good progress. It's not easy to gather and make tools at the same time that your building. Thanks for the pdf. I need to make radius dishes. I have so much on my platter, I've not had the time.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
Talladam

Post by Talladam »

After three practice attempts I got brave and chopped the dovetail mortise in my neck block. Worked out pretty well. What I learned during my practice was that it was much easier to get good straight side walls if I made my saw cuts all the way through the width of the block. I guess this is the benefit of cutting the mortise before gluing it to the sides. Also I just couldn't imagine how I would secure the guitar after the box was closed to bang away at it with a chisel while chopping the mortise.
dovetail mortise.jpg
On a more exciting note, I just bought a new bandsaw! My wife gets riding lessons, and I get a new toy! It is a used Steel City 50100. It has a 1 1/2hp motor in it and is way more saw than I need right now to be honest, but my little bandsaw is next to useless and I really didn't want that frustration of that any more. Plus, now someday (probably awhile from now) I can buy the riser block for it and resaw some tops and backs. I'm very excited. It does have a bit more vibration than I expected, but I think replacing the belt will help that, and it just blasts through thick hardwood very easily and straight.
big bandsaw.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

Everything you are doing is looking real good. You display really good tight woodworking skill. I can hardly wait to see this guitar take shape.
Talladam

Post by Talladam »

Thanks. Lets hope it stays that way. I just finished fighting with the sides some more. I think they are as close as they're gonna get.
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

The link V-belts work well and (I think) run more smoothly. Rockler, among others, sells the stuff (item 61120). It's fairly expensive, but odds are you'll only need to buy it once.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
Talladam

Post by Talladam »

My saw has a "poly v belt" which I believe means I can't use a link belt. I looked a bit closer and I think new tires might be the actual solution. The top tire seems to have fat and skinny spots. We'll see, maybe I'll do both.
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

I would not expect a poly-v belt to be a source of vibration. If you're getting vibration, I doubt the belt is the cause. The motor or pulleys may be out of balance, or the tires on the blade wheels may be not round. But who knows....