A "Norman Blake" style OM

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
John J

A "Norman Blake" style OM

Post by John J »

Number six for me. I was planning to use a black limba back and side set I had for this one, but scrapped that after my sides cracked across the grain while pre bending the waist. So this will be a cherry and Engleman spruce guitar. The cherry bends wonderfully, however I had a small goof in marking the waist when I bent the sides. I ended up with a gap at the neck block. I adjusted the mega mold and made the upper bout a little smaller. Overall length is shortened by 1/2". I decided to leave the bracing and sound hole as is and lengthen the bridge plate the 1/2". Rim is together and I'm working on the top bracing.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Learning every day.
John J

Re: A "Norman Blake" style OM

Post by John J »

Kerfed linings in. Tamarind rosette installed and top bracing going in.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Learning every day.
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

Looking good now. You need to up-sell. I think you have a good solution for the short side. You now have a custom shaped OM. It will look great.
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

I had a problem with my binding jig that took off too much on the upper left shoulder of my cherry/spruce 00. I "unglued" the top/bottom and bent the sides in, which narrowed the upper bout width by 1/2", and shifted my dovetail block down 1/4". But, in the process I gained 1/2" on the lower bout width. The guitar has an incredible voice.

Sometimes boos work out better than the original plan.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
John J

Post by John J »

I'm hoping the change will be positive.

Box is closed and it looks good. Only lost about a half an inch on the upper bout. Routed for the end wedge.
Last edited by John J on Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Learning every day.
John J

Post by John J »

Made a handle for my radius block. Much easier to sand the radius into the fingerboard. It's Katalox bound in cherry. Neck roughed out and body ready for binding.
Learning every day.
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

That Cherry is beautiful, it's really going to look great under a finish, color and grain will POP!
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

I like that handle! (The guitar ain't half bad either. Lol). The grain on the guitar is killer. Can't wait to see it finished.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
John J

Post by John J »

Bindings (leopardwood) done and body sanded to 180. Using gold mop for the inlays on this one. I'm getting more proficient with each inlay. I bought a foot switch for the dremel and it makes it so much easier. Not worried about jostling the bit when I turn the tool off. I used brown tinted epoxy on the Katalox board.
Last edited by John J on Sat Jan 16, 2016 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Learning every day.
John J

Post by John J »

More pics.
Learning every day.