My first build

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
Michael Haines

My first build

Post by Michael Haines »

This is a Martin OOO from Blues Creek pictured in my mold also from Blues Creek. I have fit the sides into the mold, glued in both blocks as well as the kerfing and have established the radius on the back. I will radius the front when I watch John's video again. I have a question regarding the side bracing. The kit came with two strips which I can get 4 braces from is this enough? I have seen several pictures of guitars with more than 4. Thanks for looking Mike Haines
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Benjy

Re: My first build

Post by Benjy »

Looking good!

I do not know how many braces are enough, I am sure John and others will be along to answer your question. I am guessing that it depends on the type of wood and the thickness of the sides.
BradHall

Post by BradHall »

Congratulations on starting your first build. I'm doing the same. My KMG kit came with brace material for 6 per side. 4 overall seems like not enough, but I'm sure the experts will let you know. Good luck.
Danl8

Post by Danl8 »

Mike,
I would give John a call for advice on your kit. Four total seems a bit light. You can also use linen tape in place of wood.
-d.
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

Per the recommendation of the luthier who is guiding me, I'm using 10 side braces on the guitar I'm currently building. Now, they aren't very big;they are triangular shaped, 1/4" base width and about 1/4" tall. What cross-section do you contemplate for your side braces?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Looking very good Mike.

I base the number of side braces on the thickness and stability of the sides. I used a total of 8 braces, 4 on each side, on my OM (same size as 000). The sides on my OM were thinned to ~ 2mm (.080").

I used 10 braces on my 00 even though it's smaller than the OM, because the sides were a bit thinner at .065-.070", but also because I used highly figured curly cherry that had a lot of sap holes. The extra set went into the upper bout curve, where I worried about the possibility of a crack forming because of the sap holes.

Unless you think the sides are very thin, or in any way could become easily cracked, 8 (4 per side), are more than enough.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Michael Haines wrote:This is a Martin OOO from Blues Creek pictured in my mold also from Blues Creek. I have fit the sides into the mold, glued in both blocks as well as the kerfing and have established the radius on the back. I will radius the front when I watch John's video again. I have a question regarding the side bracing. The kit came with two strips which I can get 4 braces from is this enough? I have seen several pictures of guitars with more than 4. Thanks for looking Mike Haines
Mike, I just realized that you meant 4 braces total, rather than 4 braces per strip. I would contact John and ask him about that.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
mnmusic

Post by mnmusic »

Hi Mike,

I'll be watching this thread closely since you're building the same first guitar that I'll eventuality be building as my first guitar.

Ed
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

Martin uses none on the small bodies but here 2 per side , one on each side of the waist. My preference is to use cloth ribbon glued to the sides like the old days. 5/8 wide polyester ribbon you can get at walmart. titebond will stick it on well.
I use this.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/TESA-51026-3-4- ... xywh1TBxQC

this works very well.

the purpose of this brace or reinforcement is to help control a side crack should you bump guitar. When I use cloth I put 7 to 9 per side.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Michael Haines

Post by Michael Haines »

Thank you everyone for the comments. I will post some more pics as I continue. Mike Haines