My first build

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
Michael Haines

Re: My first build

Post by Michael Haines »

Starting to glue my top braces on. Besides trimming them to length and shaving to desired thickness at the ends do I need to trim these braces any further? If so to what pattern. Thanks Mike
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Hi Mike,

You're doing a great job. As far as the braces are concerned, the only difference between a 000 and an OM is scalloping. Since you're building a 000, no scalloping is needed. You'll want to clean up the braces. Make sure that any glue squeeze out is cleaned up and the braces and top/back are sanded to at least 320 grit, if not higher. I make the inside of the guitar as clean and neat as the outside, so spend some quality time sanding.

Some people "voice" their tops and backs. In a nutshell, voicing involves taking off very small amounts of bracing to adjust the sonic quality of the top when tapped. This is only an option and you'll find opinions both ways. I like to do this, but a lot of people who build beautiful guitars don't . You can find some good information about voicing by searching the Internet and YouTube.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
Michael Haines

Post by Michael Haines »

Thanks Diane I appreciate the info